Is there anything that Apple didn't mess up?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dwalls90, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

1) Website crashed on pre-order day.
    2) Backordered phones that were supposed to be delivered on launch day.
    3) No white iPhone
    4) Shortage of phones lead to retailers delaying in-store availability.
    5) Promises of early pre-order delivery, now falling back to launch day.

Seriously ... it's a great product, but did Apple do ANYTHING right for launch?

2. Gagoots macrumors regular

Getting paid. They never mess up getting our $.

3. KingMike26 macrumors newbie

1. ATT was the one with the problems
    2. Fair, next
    3. Fair, next
    4. Blame Gizmodo for leaking the phone, forcing Apple to release it early.
    5. They didn't promise ****

4. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

LOL even that they messed up ... my CC still hasn't been charged ...

5. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

They got some of us our phones 1 and 2 days early.

6. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

I'm not going to defend Apple on the first four points but in regards to #5, have you had your eyes closed since yesterday morning?

People have been receiving their phones since yesterday. The front page of this forum is littered with threads with pictures and delivery announcements.

7. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Some, as in a handful of Apple's worldwide cliental, is not going to keep stock prices high and keep people happy :rolleyes:

If anything that's attributed to a stupid distributor employee.

8. bahooki macrumors regular

Ummmm, they sent people emails telling them to be home on the 23rd to receive their phone. In the business world, we'd call that a promise.

And no, it wasn't just AT&T with the problems. Apples website was screwed up most of that day too. Apple definitely looks horrible in most every regard with this release.

9. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

If you got the email about delivery today, you'll probably get it today. Everyone who got theirs said the shipping status was stuck at one place and wasnt updated. 99% chance you'll get it today if you got that email.

10. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

It was AT&T's fault. Apple's site had to link to AT&T's servers to get upgrade info. So if you ordered from Apple it still contacted AT&T. AT&T just made apple look bad.

11. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Being that today isn't over or even close to it, you can't really say only a handful received them early. By the end of the day I'm guessing tens of thousands of these things will have been delivered.

12. muledogus macrumors 6502

Who does and doesn't get their iPhones today isn't going to hurt stock prices. Look how many people paid for the product.

13. bahooki macrumors regular

Part of the ordering process was. But Apples site failed in many other spots that didn't involve contacting AT&T.

14. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

1) Lets see you setup a server infrastructure that interfaces with AT&T that can handle over 600,000 people at the same time. Waiting...
    2) They can still get delivered on launch day via overnight FedEx
    3) So?
    4) They made a TON of phones, but manufacturing always has its limitations
    5) As stated, I bet 99% of people who got that email will get it today, FedEx is slow to update status changes.

Anything else, Mr. Perfect?

15. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Youre being over-dramatic

16. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Funny, I just posted this on another thread...

Wow, this is just a series of flustercucks...

• from Apple's white iPhone gone MIA at preorder time and conflicting reports with third-party retailers
    • to Apple's and AT&T's servers crashing under the load of preorders and reservations
    • to the pushing of availability all the way into the middle of next motnh
    • to multiple and canceled orders from both sides
    • to the no-walk-in policy for AT&T purchases until the 29th
    • to the waiting game of shipping status and dates
    • to FedEx's non-real-time delivery status and conflicting reports with their customer service

Did I miss anything?

It's so fun, we must do this again next year!

17. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I have not yet received my phone although I got the famous e-mail.

However have any of you whiners thought to check for other threads on this forum? You may want to have a check out the post "I Just Got my iPhone" by Mikeone. It is now up to two pages, or are you upset that you may have to wait a while longer?

18. TheCheapGeek macrumors 6502

Apparently based on the reviews they nailed the phone, and thats all that really matters.

19. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

That is short term thinking. Long term Apple needs to do a through retrospective on the entire launch. The pain will go away once the launch is over and everyone has their phone but the bad taste will linger into next year. If Apple continues to execute sloppily people will remember and not participate next time b/c of the hassle. That will hurt stock prices long term b/c the hysteria Apple needs won't be there. Apple's products are great but they are not really "ground breaking" outside of the Reality Distortion Zone.

How many great companies from the past are just ordinary now? GM was once THE car company. Cadillac was the standard bearer. Today...meh. Why? Because they lost focus of the customer.

20. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

+1.

There can't be a single soul that would look back on the iPhone 3GS launch claiming that it was successful, simple and accurate. You really think that given how much worse the iPhone 4 launch was, people are going to think any better? The fact that people KNEW that this launch would be ****ed up is a pretty sad sign for Apple - and they still managed to mess it up.