General Is there anything to worry about with the new Jailbreak?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bobright, Dec 24, 2013.

1. bobright macrumors 601

I heard the stuff about a Chinese hacked App Store or some stuff about that, could I be compromised of any info through this or hacked in some way is it safe as any other jailbreak? 100 guys from China won't show up on my doorstep with ak 47's kidnap me and steal my identity?

2. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

no, there's nothing to worry about. no data is being leaked

3. kalirob99 macrumors 68000

kalirob99

I think I heard the Chinese app isn't in the English releases. I'm unsure if it still dials out.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

5. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

The installation of the chinese app, TaiG, has been remotely disabled

6. kalirob99 macrumors 68000

kalirob99

So it's not installed or tries to ping anymore?

7. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

8. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

at the moment, it doesn't get installed. it never sent any information to china in the first place

the IP address people talk about is just cloudflare, which hosts the download portion of the jailbreak

9. stevelam macrumors 65816

yes. lots to worry about. the fact that the team basically ****ed over all the tweak developers. none had a heads up. a lot of them like chpwn are quitting the jb scene (goodbye zephyr, etc). the fact that the 'store' they got paid to include in the jb had repos hosting pirated versions of other developers tweaks, etc etc.

basically theres not much reason to jailbreak when some of the best tweak developers don't give a **** about iOS anymore.

10. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

There was word that geohot had all the components needed for a jailbreak as well. If he had released it all of a sudden, the situation may be the same regardless, with no time for preparation.

He released limera1n one day before the dev team's SHAtter for iOS 4, but the reason why it wasn't disastrous is because iOS 4.0 was already jailbroken with jailbreakme, so all the necessary foundations for iOS 4 jailbreak was already there.

When there's a race between two groups who BOTH have everything done for a jailbreak, giving any time ETA will just let the other group release theirs without warning ahead of time of the other group

Of course, there are probably more complications to the situation then what I am speculating.

About the tweak developers, yes, it's sad to see them go but there are still lots of great developers out there. It's easy to just blame and yell at others, but if you had been in their shoes, the decision would've been much harder for you

11. kalirob99 macrumors 68000

kalirob99

Oh blah, it's just Cloudflare? I thought it was something terribly fishy.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Then stay stock.
    No one is forcing you to JB or use their FREE program.

13. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Use the new 1.0.1 tool which has completely removed the TaiG part of the code if your overly worried.

14. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks guys

So as to not run into any problems just be sure to uninstall winterboard for right now right, as it doesn't fully work yet? Anything else to keep in mind beforehand?

15. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Jailbreak and then leave it alone until the rest of the world catches up with it.

16. Ann P macrumors 68020

Then quit complaining and don't jailbreak. Geez louise. Newsflash: Cydia also has piracy.

17. rak007 macrumors 6502a

I really want zephyr to work. Else the home button takes a lot of beating.

18. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Not to hijack this thread, but what about that mobile substrate thing? Everybody seems to be asking about it.

Will the jailbreak work fine without it?

19. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Jailbreak works fine but Cydia hacks which require mobile substrate do not work (which is a large number or popular hacks)

20. stevelam macrumors 65816

Newsflash: cydiia requires repos. No standard ones have piracy. Your blanket statement is basically saying something dumb like "the internet has piracy". Duh.

Another jb issue: all camera/photo related apps will randomly stop working (this is on a iPhone 5, so it's not a 64-bit issue). Removing mobile substrate and rebooting makes them work again.

21. Ann P macrumors 68020

My point - don't jailbreak. It's been updated without Taig so you can stop whining now.

22. stevelam macrumors 65816

My point - the OP asked if there's anything to worry about for jailbreaking. My concerns are legitimate for people WHO WANT TO JAILBREAK. Learn to read in context.

23. Ann P macrumors 68020

Uh, what concerns? You were just ranting about a bunch of gibberish.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So what?
    Within seconds anyone can add pirate repos on cydia. Anyone with a quick google search can find tons of them weather they come standard or not. Those who want to use pirated software will do it.
    About the rest of the bugs will be taken care off eventually, again if you don't like it no one is forcing you to JB.