Is there anything worth waiting for??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by santan92, Apr 16, 2010.

1. santan92 macrumors newbie

I'm going to by a MBP for College, probable the top of the line 15". For me its a lot of dough. Is there anything worth waiting until September, when I start??

Like a free iPod with my MBP
    or a fall in price
    or wait till WWDC
    or anything

Just want your opinion, until then I can use my crappy Toshiba laptop, as I don't really have to work on anything. But is there anything worth the wait? Because I have been wanting a MB since I first heard of Apple.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

There will probably be an iPod rebate… otherwise this is probably what you'll be able to buy during that promotion.

3. medz52 macrumors newbie

If you can wait, wait for sandy bridge...just saying

I couldn't wait any longer and bought a 15'' Glossy Hi Res i7, but if i could've..i would have waited for sandy bridge in Q1 of 2011

4. PAC88 macrumors 6502

why do you feel that you need the top of the line 15"? If I were you I'd go for the low end 15".. performance gap between the two is extremely small. I would just get it now with your student discount if you've had your heart set on it.
    edit: since your current notebook works, I guess waiting for back to school promotion will be a good deal for you. I still recommend the base model 15" though.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The OP asked if there was something before September worth waiting for ;)

6. ttttttttttt9 macrumors member

If you want the new machines and can wait until closer to Sept, then you might as well. There aren't any deals that I know of right now for the new machines, though there are plenty on the previous gen. At my campus you can get an extra $100-200 off the previous gen (off the already $100 off student discounted price), plus a free ipod touch if you get applecare. I don't know about the 15" but for the 13" that means $999 for the low-end (2.26GHz), and just under $1200 for 2.26 13" + ipod touch + applecare.

Anyway, if you want the new gen, you should wait to see what deals come up over the summer. You should be able to get at least an ipod or something. Plus there could always be some hardware fixes or something in the next few months.

7. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

THe free ipod and printer promotion starts in a few weeks, a month and a half at the most. Don't wait for sandy bridge, at this rate it'll be a year from now. (hopefully not, but after the last update who knows)

8. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Wait for the Back 2 School promo and any higher education/college discount, otherwise there is nothing exciting coming out soon. I don't know about the plastic MBs, but I think the aluminium ones are worth the slight premium between the two.

9. santan92 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm choosing the top of the line because of the GPU, and because I'm gonna keep this laptop for a long time, I might as well get the best I can. Now that you bring it up, is it worth it? Im going to study Industrial Design.

10. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

I can't imagine needing more processing power than the Core i5 2.4- you pay a hefty premium for the i7, with maybe a 20% performance gain... I can't imagine the graphics card memory making any significant difference to application performance... so unless your time is money then it's not worth it.

FWIW I'm a working engineer that's planning to get the bottom 15" with hires AG

11. wandrer2 macrumors member

That.