Is There Anything Wrong With Safari?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by xvigauge, Jan 12, 2017.

1. xvigauge macrumors member

xvigauge

I am noticing on my Safari search engine that it often times runs very slow and sometimes the blue line just stops. After a while, a notice comes up saying that the server somewhere is down or that Safari can't find the item or something to that affect. Is this common to Safari? When I go to Chrome, and type something in the search, it comes up instantly. Why this big difference?
    xvigauge

2. chscag macrumors 68000

Which search engine have you chosen to use with Safari? Chrome by default will use Google.

3. xvigauge thread starter macrumors member

xvigauge

I don't really know how to answer that question. When I click on the the Safari icon on the tool bar at the bottom of the screen, all of these different icons come up. What I am talking about is when I then just type in a topic I want to search or type in a web site at the top of the screen sometimes, the blue line will stop and nothing will happen. Some times when I open Safari and click on an icon that is there, nothing happens. I am using whatever "search engine" Safari uses. I thought Safari was a search engine.
    xvigauge

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Safari is not a search engine, it's a web browser.

To know what search engine you are using in Safari, go to Safari / Preferences / Search, "Search engine" (Google, Yahoo, Bing, DuckDuckGo, etc...)

5. xvigauge thread starter macrumors member

xvigauge

Sorry, I did not know the difference. I am still learning and I appreciate all advice and help. After going to preferences and search, I see the search engine I am using in Safari is google. Like I said, google works real fast for me in chrome, but sometimes (not every time) slow or not at all in Safari. My question is, is that just the nature of Safari or is there some other problem?
    xvigauge

6. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

There must be something else going on, but it could be a slew of things ... difficult to troubleshoot intermittent problems.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

@xvigauge
    What version of Safari do you have? What version of OS X or macOS do you have? What version of Chrome do you have?

8. xvigauge thread starter macrumors member

xvigauge

I have the Mac Sierra OS, the latest version. I don't know how to answer the other two questions.
    xvigauge

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Well, that eliminates the guess work for people trying to help you. That is, you are not using an out of date version of Safari and an updated version of Chrome. But it also means that the problem with Safari is something of a mystery. The "latest and greatest" should not be giving you grief.

You could try restoring the default prefs for Safari. Get out of Safari. Hold down Option and click the Go menu. Select Library. Now open the preferences folder. Find the file com.apple.safari.plist and put it in the Trash. Now open Safari. This will create a new plist for it.

10. xvigauge thread starter macrumors member

xvigauge

11. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Let us know after a week or so if the problem went away.

12. xvigauge thread starter macrumors member

xvigauge

I went through the process that Gregg2 described. Safari does work better now in opening up most of my apps, websites, etc. The two that still occasionally will not open are AOL and FaceBook, (and sometimes something I am searching for and looking for a site). Most of the time, they will open just fine, but sometimes they will not so I have to open them in Chrome.
    But, they are opening more often now more than they did before. It just gets a little annoying at times.
    xvigauge

13. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Glad it's working better for you. Those two sites should be fine, so it's still a mystery to me why they give your problems. You could try deleting cookies for both sites to see if a "reset" will help.