Is there anywaY that 3g iPhone users will get some subsidy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michael31986, Mar 27, 2009.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68030

Im wondering if we will get the new 09 iphone at subsidized price i know ours was already subsidized but I also know most people have the 3g iPhone. Do u think it's possible that orignal iPhone users get a big subsidy and 3g users can get a smaller subsidy like we would pay more but still not the 599 or 699 that they are offering for non contracts. I don't see why we can't just sign a new two year and pay a bit more than 2g iPhone users

2. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

You mean on the up-coming iPhone?

What about people who own both like myself, do I get dual subsidies? :cool:

3. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

You got a $400 price break to use a phone for two years. WHY oh why do you think AT&T would make a special exception because you want a new phone when it comes out? New phones come out all the time from every manufacturer, and AT&T doesn't let people get off free with a year to go on a contract.

5. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

To keep the customer happy so he comes back when the new, new iPhone is released? After you've burned enough people, you're left with nothing but ashes...

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I don't see why not, Apple gave a subsidy for the 3G when it came out to those with the original iPhone (and also early eligibility). They're going to want as many people as possible to stay with them for another 2 years.

7. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

That's what I'm thinking but the first iPhones weren't subsidized that's why they gave 3g users subsidze. But I think AT&T will want to keep us with them. And apple isn't like other cell phone comapnies so I don't think the excuse of new cell phones comes out applys.

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

You'll probably end up getting the smaller subsidy offered to EVERYONE that is not yet through their contract: $399/$499. No, the iPhone isn't special in the carriers' minds. They just want your money.

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I forgot they didn't subsidize the original.

Probably true.

10. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Correct me if i'm wrong...

Is there not an early upgrade price for the iphone 3g? I think the early upgrade price is 8gb - $399 and 16gb - $499. Basically that price is if you are already under contract and want to sign another 2 year contract.

My guess is the next iphone will go like this.

16gb - $399
    32gb - $499

So if you are not upgrade eligible then that is what I THINK you will be paying for the early upgrade price. I think they keep the subsidized price the same as the current iphone 3g's at $199 and $299 respectively.

Correct me if my logic is flawed.

11. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

the iPhone isn't special?
    ATT COMPLETELY reworked their system to allow visual voicemail and at home activation. They let Apple have complete control over the software without throwing on the ATT net store link or whatever it is that most cellphones have
    they even let Apple get away with not ATT branding AT ALL both on the phone or in the OS

Apple beats the crap out of ATT
    if they want the 3g owners to get a full subsidy, then 3g owners will
    its up to Apple

12. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Depends on when you bought the 3G. If you bought it when it was released and had an original you should get a full subsidy because your contract didn't need to be extended.

But if you bough the iPhone 3G and didn't own an iPhone before...you might not get a subsidy.

13. kingdLo macrumors 6502

It's whatever Apple wants. IMO, Apple sticks AT&T the shaft unlubed and they just take it.

14. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Because the mobile industry is extremely competitive, and AT&T would rather make me happy than pointing out that it has no legal or moral obligations to make me happy by offering me an early upgrade.

15. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Ask ATT in June.

Any asking before now is pointless.:rolleyes:

16. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

This would make sense if AT&T offered this discount in any way to other phones, but they don't. I'm not sure why people are expecting them to treat the iPhone differently.

17. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Because the iPhone IS different.

It is the #1 revenue generating phone (please don't confuse this with #1 selling which are giveaways and junk)

It comes from a their most invested partner in the history of ATT.

It has an EXTREME loyal following that will mean an instant pop in sales on day 1 from people that hope to upgrade from 3G to the new iphone.

iPhone customers are prob. their most valueable when you tie in data plans and likelyhood of staying with ATT since there is no competing phones.

Did I mention the instant pop in sales?

Apple would love to see that pop in sales as well.

Apple would like to move new phone inventory esp. in their econ times.

People will line up for the iPhone. How many people lined up for the samsung? This speaks volumes if you know anything about business.

insert more items here.

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot, THEY GET TO TIE PEOPLE to another year of an ATT contract. $$$

18. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

The basic math as I understand it is that AT&T is paying Apple roughly $400 per iPhone, $200 per year of your contract. So it's very possible that AT&T will let you upgrade and buy the new iphone for $400 plus you have to sign a new contract. A lot to pay, imo, but if you need the latest and greatest, why not.

You also end up with a spare 3G iPhone that you could sell on eBay for potential unlockers and recoup much of that $400.