Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lulala

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Sometime, I need to copy image from some other apps and then copy to a new file. But, it's bothersome that I have to change default save type. The default type is PICT format. But, I want to save the file as PNG file. Is there any way to change that setting? Any thought is appreciated.

ryanph

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2012
Couldn't Find Change Option

So I could not find a way to change the default file format SAVE option in Preview BUT I did figure out by using Mac Automator and converting my files from .png to .jpg I have been able o save tons of space, as .png files are in the MB range while .jpg files are n the KB range, so it is a no-brainer :)

So I launched Automator and did the following. This helps if you are working with lots of files, maybe with only a few, as I created an application and simply drop the .png files onto it and it converts the files to .jpg, no muss no fuss. I'm a Microsoft guy and this was absurdly easy :) Starting to get into Macs :)

Automator --> New --> Application
- Drag the Specified Finder Items into the right part of the Automator app
- In the search box, search for Convert and you will find the "Convert File Types" option. Drag that into the right part of the page so this is underneath the "Specified Finder Items"
- Do a File --> Save and save this wherever you want to use this. Note that the files are converted wherever the application runs. So if you have a .png on your desktop and you drop it into the application, the .jpg is saved wherever the application is located.

Note - I'm sure you can play around with the automator objects to ask WHERE you want to save the converted files, but I just went with this easy to use file converter option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.