is there anyway to change the partitioned harddrive icon from bootcamp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by w...b, Nov 15, 2008.

1. w...b macrumors regular

i just want to change the icon and name. I was able to do it on my gf computer but im guessing that was 10.4. Can anyone help?

Attached Files:

2. Silenus macrumors newbie

Not sure about the icon itself, but you should be able to change the name of the partition when you boot into windows.

3. w...b thread starter macrumors regular

4. eba macrumors regular

1. You can change of name of the Bootcamp drive from within Windows. Click on My Computer and rename the drive (probably the C: drive).

2. You can change the icon on the Bootcamp drive using CandyBar. You have to change the icon for internal drives to the icon you want to use for your Bootcamp drive. Only problem is that it changes all internal drives to that icon, so if you want a different icon for your Macintosh HD drive, you'll have to change that by the usual cut and paste method.

3. You can change your Bootcamp drive to have full read and write privileges, including changing the name and icon from within OS X, by using NTFS for Mac OS X. It costs a bit, but it allows you move files freely between your Mac and Windows partitions.

My icons:

[​IMG][/URL][​IMG][/IMG]

5. w...b thread starter macrumors regular

do i have to purchase CandyBar? Because i would only be using it for this.

6. w...b thread starter macrumors regular

where did you get the vista icon?

7. eba macrumors regular

The Vista icon is posted here. I can't recall where I got it, so I can't give credit to the author. I've posted it in ICO format and in CandyBar Container format (either should work).

CandyBar does cost some $, but I use it a lot. It's great for changing app and system icons.

8. kennyli macrumors regular

It took me quite a hile to find out how to change the name .......

1) Start your WinXP

2) My computer -> Select your Hard Drive, Right-click -> Properties

3) Chaneg whatever name you like and press OK

Now shut down WinXP and you will see the name you've changed in the Mac OS

Attached Files:

9. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Whst is this method ?

10. eba macrumors regular

See here for the steps for changing icons in OS X using the cut and paste method.

If you want to use different icons for your Mac and Windows partitions, you (1) use CandyBar to change the icon for all internal drives to the icon you want for your Windows drive and then (2) override that icon for your Mac drive by doing the cut and paste method described in the link above.

11. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

If you don't want to pay for an NTFS drivers there's a free one at http://www.ntfs-3g.org/. I use it and it's pretty stable.