Is there anyway to get IR TV Power Control

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by kring, Nov 2, 2015.

1. kring macrumors regular

kring

Has anyone figured out a way to turn on/off the TV using IR? seems really lame they didn't include that feature when the system is 100% capable of doing that.

2. mattDC5R macrumors member

How is the ATV 100% capable of doing IR control of other devices?

IR database library's for TVs would be huge in terms of volume of different code sets that would be required, and would require pretty frequent maintenance to keep up with the stupid changes that TV manufacturers make year to year. It would also require localisation as TV models don't always have uniform model numbers between regions.

Its no surprise to me that they went the way they did, not that HDMI-CEC is all that great but its far more likely to cover the myriad of options that would occur around the world in peoples homes.

3. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

They could use the same learning from your existing remote system they employ for training the IR volume controls, that would save them the trouble.

4. mattDC5R, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015

mattDC5R macrumors member

So, firstly, i apologise as i didn't know that there was the Volume by IR option in the ATV. So Kring is asking that question as an extension of that.

I've just got home and set my ATV4 up (which i finally have after putting in an order on the first day), and well low and behold i have done precisely nothing and enabling that option is controlling my samsung TV by IR. Well there you go hey, there is more to this new ATV that meets the eye! That will teach me for replying before I have the product in hand won't it!

Changing to the Receiver via IR option is controlling the Denon receiver volume by IR perfectly as well!

Honestly i thought all the control was being done by HDMI-CEC, id be very interested to know more of the back end of the way they have this working. CEC was enabled on both products when i plugged in the ATV, given there is no other set up involved to get that IR working, it would seem they are picking up the control info through that protocol. Very interesting.

TrueBlou, yes they could do of course, though my guess is that problem might snowball for them though. EG how do they deal with TVs that have discrete IR codes and a factory remote only has the discrete on and off buttons. Then you have a issue of buttons and button labelling to try and make work.

Edit, the point I am trying to make there is there a mountain of combinations that exist that may be hard to cover in an auto programming scenario .

5. kring thread starter macrumors regular

kring

Good info Matt... And yes that's the route I was going... the ATV4 can (and did) learn to send IR commands... my IR works fine for volume but not for power on, I get not covering all the functions of a remote but power, volume, mute, input select are the basic requirements for control... and a lot of newer TV's don't have CEC... My Samsung is 18mo old 55" LED LCD and it doesn't have CEC. so I need a second remote just to power on the TV.

I was just surprised they din't include at launch power control, and I hope they add that soon.. or one of our many creative members figure out a hack of sorts to control power. the ATV could just simply string together a series of IR commands in a macro... during the learning process let you stack IR commands to bring your system to life.

I also noticed a second bug around ATV control; ATV doesn't know or refresh state - so when things fall asleep or power off or if input is changed the ATV doesn't know how to handle that and I have to find the remote and fix that. Awareness of state is important.. even if it means just sending a wake command again to bring everything up.