Is there anyway to Make my Mac always start on the desktop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Abyss1al, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Abyss1al macrumors newbie

Hi guys! I am awful at managing windows and my computer desktop is always cluttered with a ton of different windows. I know there is a shortcut to hide all windows and go to the desktop. So I was wondering if there was any to make my Mac just hide all of the windows and go to the desktop automatically after x amount of time being inactive or after I open my computer after closing it but not actually turning it off.

2. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Try this (try it right now):

- Save this thread so you can get back here and report
    - Choose Shut Down from the Apple menu (but don't shut down yet, just look)
    - Is there a checkmark in the box "reopen windows when logging back in" ...?
    - If there is, UNCHECK it.
    - Now, continue with the shutdown
    - Next, REBOOT
    - Does the finder look different after the reboot?

3. mroy16 macrumors regular

OP wants the computer to show the desktop without having to reboot.

I'm not aware of any way to make this happen automatically.

4. chabig macrumors 603

It suspect you came to the Mac from Windows, where people keep hundreds of icons in thrust desktops. My desktop has. nothing on it. Get organized man!

But as for your “problem” consider setting a hot corner to Show Desktop. See System Preferences.

5. mroy16 macrumors regular

This generally has much more to do with the user than the OS. I know Windows users with immaculate desktops and Mac users whose desktops are disaster areas.

OP was asking about a utility to help them use their computer the way they want. That's all.

6. deepakvrao macrumors 6502

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

8. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

You could use an app such as Power Manager (no affiliation) to run an AppleScript after a certain period of inactivity, or after it wakes from sleep: https://www.dssw.co.uk/powermanager/

Something like this should work:
    Code:
    tell application "Finder"
    set visible of every process whose visible is true and name is not "Finder" to false
    set the collapsed of windows to true
    end tell
    AppleScript itself can't respond to sleep/wake events, so a third party app would be needed to run the script.