Resolved Is there anyway to sort the icons in Launchpad alphabetically?

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by didgmd, Oct 1, 2015.

1. didgmd macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I'm wondering if there is a way to sort the icons in Launchpad alphabetically. Please advise me. Thanks.

2. Janichsan macrumors 65816

Janichsan

Click on one icon, hold down the mouse button and wait till they start to jiggle. Drag the icons into alphabetical order.

Yeah, sorry, that's the only way to do it. *shrug* Launchpad is crap anyway. ;)

3. AtheistP3ace macrumors 6502a

AtheistP3ace

It would be awesome to have a fast way to do this. But I agree with previous poster I never use launchpad. Cmd+SB for me anytime i need an app quickly.

4. TobiasJW macrumors newbie

You can do this with this terminal command:

defaults write com.apple.dock ResetLaunchPad -bool true; killall Dock

This will arrange all apple stock/system applications on the first launchpad page in the default order. On the second, third etc. page all the other apps will be arranged alphabetically.

English is not my first language so be prepared for mistakes :)

5. randomgeeza macrumors 6502

Manually....

6. didgmd thread starter macrumors newbie

The command really works. Thank you so much. :)

7. cig0 macrumors newbie

cig0

It shouldn't be, though; all they need to add is some very basic functionality that I'm sure it would be incredible easy to add:
    • Ability to sort the icons by the same criteria you can sort them in Finder
    • Ability to use smaller icons AND ability to show the icons in a list format -- wonderful to stop navigating through the different Launchpad screens
    • Ability to set a different background, for better contrast
    How much could it take to a Jr. to implement these features, a week? Two? A month? Sometimes I have a hard time trying to understand the why behind some decisions :rolleyes:

8. Netsrfr macrumors newbie

Netsrfr

May be a change in High Sierra, but this no longer sorts applications alphabetically. Still separates the Apple applications onto the first page, but neither are sorted.
    If anyone finds a work around let me know, and if I run into one myself I'll update.

9. mathepac macrumors newbie

mathepac

I found it worked in a limited way.

Yes it isolated Apple apps to page 1, unsorted, but the 3rd party stuff gets sorted on pages 2 and 3 (in my case) It's certainly easier than manually sorting the 3 pages. I moved FileMaher Pro Advanced to page 1. A useful little script, thank you @TobiasJW