is there anyway to store map data on the phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by huskerwr38, Jul 17, 2008.

1. huskerwr38 macrumors member

I was wondering if there is any program that allows you to store map data on the iphone instead of having to download it everytime. Also, can you save webpages too?

2. higgalls macrumors regular

I'd love to know the same thing, as I don't have a data plan, and it would be great to have all the maps cached for when I set out on a trip, so that I don't need to pay expensive data charges.

3. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

Pls be nice to me. I know its slightly off the topic. But the jailbroken iphone can use "Maps Offline" app to preload city maps and maps that you have visited onto your iphone.

4. profetto macrumors regular

When you're at home sitting on wifi before you leave for your trip, you can load maps, set up your directions, and then use the fancy new tool equiped with the new iPhone to take screenshots. Only thing I can really think of.

To take a screen shot: hold sleep/wake button and home button simultaneously for a second, the screen should flash and the picture will be saved in your photos.

Should get the job done! :)

5. huskerwr38 thread starter macrumors member

That might be crazy enough to work!

6. higgalls macrumors regular

That defeats the whole purpose of having GPS though.

7. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

I agree, although it's not an complete solution, it's an excellent idea that could come in handy. By the way, even without internet the Maps app will keep the map and step-by-step directions cached. You just can't accidentally try searching for something or it will erase it.

8. chrisparr macrumors regular

It's a bit bad you can't do that, I could download all the maps I wanted to my N95.

I think TomTom are bringing out a GPS navigation application for the iPhone. I'm sure that will use downloaded maps.

9. higgalls macrumors regular

Well unfortunately it isn't confirmed whether TomTom will bring out an App for the iPhone yet. Yes they have said that they have gotten a version of their software running on the iPhone, but they still have to decide whether they will be releasing it and supporting it. It wasn't a clear cut case unfortunately.
    I am definately hoping they bring it out though (and soon).

10. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Er, they have. Gomite have too.

11. higgalls macrumors regular

Early articles said it was confirmed that it was coming out, but since then there have been articles saying it isn't confirmed yet as it depends on Apple.

Read: http://www.appleinsider.com/article...e_lives_jobs_true_health_green_iphone_3g.html

Article says,

"Contradicting unofficial reports that the company had nothing official, Lafargue says that TomTom has been developing a version of its Navigator software for the iPhone ever since the release of the SDK and that the software works "very well."

Whether or not it will be releasable is still up in the air, he warns. The company could find itself blocked from offering the software through the App Store either as a potential competitor to Apple's own software or else as a rival to a chosen partner of the iPhone maker."

Also here, http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/tomtom-clarifies-iphone-gps-application-plans/
    This article says,
    "In an interview with MacGeneration (Translated link), Yann Lafargue of TomTom France revealed that while the company does have a navigation application running on the iPhone, it is unsure of whether or not it will release the software. Lafargue said the company wants to be sure that Apple will allow them to sell the software on the App Store, while stating that the restrictive clause in the SDK agreement is most likely Apple trying to protect itself from a liability standpoint, rather than an outright restriction."

So no it doesn't appear to be confirmed from the most recent interview.