is there anyway to stream Pandora through Dock

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by moment111, Jul 15, 2009.

1. moment111 macrumors newbie

I have an Audi A4 with the Ipod\Iphone connector. There seems to be no way of streaming pandora or last.fm through the docking port. The car unfortunatley dosen't have an AUX connector so I am stuck using the built in dock.

Any hacks to get pandora to play out of the itunes app on the phone?
    :confused:

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I can stream through my radio. Then again I paid to have it all hard wired and it's on a Honda not an Audi.

So you're saying the Audi only allows you to control via the head unit and not via the iPod as well? Mine has two aux channels basically, so I can control my iPod from my iPod or control my iPod via the head unit and steering wheel controls.

3. jerrycrum macrumors member

I use a dock conector for my stereo and iphone also. However its not as simple as plug and play. I have to plug it in, wait for the regular ipod program to start playing a song, press the home button on the iphone and then open pandora. at which point the ipod fades out and then pandora will start to play through my car stereo. hope this helps.

4. moment111 thread starter macrumors newbie

I will try that. The only thing I have tried so far is to turn pandora on first then connect it via the Dock in the glove box. The cord is quite short so managing from the is nearly impossible unless your are the passenger. IT would be fantastic to control pandora from the head unit but alas if I can only get pandora or last.fm to just play and output through the dock I will be so very happy.

5. moment111 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried to start pandora while the iphone was connected to the in-car dock, itunes starts playing automatically (annoyingly the first artist alphabetically in the list of artists ever single time regardless of who you were listening too last) and then I open pandora. It starts to play for only a moment then itunes takes back over and pandora goes to pause. I hit the play arrow and again pandora starts to play then freaking itunes takes back over!!!!

Ugh.

I hate Itunes.

6. jerrycrum macrumors member

Interesting... I never had that happen to me. As soon as pandora starts playing i'm good to go. It would be very nice if you could control it from the head unit.

7. moment111 thread starter macrumors newbie

you are connecting via the dock cable in your car? What kind of car? The Audi MMI unit has no idea of Pandora or that anyone would like to stream radio at all.

I will try it again tomorrow there must be some way to kill itunes from starting up with in the iphone or perhaps its the ECU which I understand can be tweaked all sorts of ways.

8. jerrycrum macrumors member

Yes i'm using the dock connector in my car. its a 2002 honda accord. with a pioneer receiver. for me if i don't let the ipod start playing first and i just try to go straight to pandora it doesn't work. i think the ipod has to start playing first to get the audio going through the dock or something of the sorts. i'm not exactly sure.