Is there as aversion to open source apps on OS X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stchman, Jul 31, 2012.

1. stchman macrumors 6502a

Hello all.

Recently bought a MBA and do like it.

My question is why do Apple folks never suggest that a user use any of the open source apps out there.

Being a Linux guy and using Ubuntu for 5+ years there are a LOT of quality open source free apps. They even have OS X versions!!!!

LibreOffice
    Firefox
    Thunderbird
    Filezilla
    Adium
    Handbrake
    Transmission
    jEdit
    Netbeans
    Eclipse

The list goes on and on.

I believe that coming from the closed Apple ecosystem, Apple folks find it hard to believe that FOSS applications are worth it, JMO.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you look at some of the many app recommendation threads, you'll find many of those apps are frequently recommended.

3. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

I'd guess that part of the reason is the tendency a lot of FOSS apps have toward being a bit clunky on the Mac, as they often bring with them un-optimized and non-standard user interfaces. Anytime I use a java app, it feels like I've been transported back to 1997.

Apps like Transmission and Adium are pretty popular among Mac users (and have nice UIs), but given the choice, not many people feel the need to switch to Thunderbird over Mail.app or deal with FileZilla when you can use Cyberduck (Java backend but native GUI) for free or Flow for $5.

The appearance of better Mac software coupled with a general move to the cloud has also had an impact. I remember running Abiword in X11 back in the dark days since that was pretty much my only option, but when Google apps is free and Pages is $20, LibreOffice loses some of its appeal