Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
MY ACTUAL QUESTION:
Other than the built in GPS in the iPad, do you give up anything by going iPhone+Tether+Wi-Fi iPad vs. 3G iPad?

RANDOM MUSING:
If you own an iPhone, you can tether the phone to a wi-fi iPad. Or, you can get a 3G iPad.

Cheaper to tether, but it drains the more limited battery of the iPhone. But you can also tether it to other devices.

Is there a consensus on the forums as to which method is more popular?

I'm personally leaning towards a 3G iPad 3 to replace my wifi iPad 1. I don't have much else to tether to, but it would be nice when I need it.

Meanee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2011
MY ACTUAL QUESTION:
Other than the built in GPS in the iPad, do you give up anything by going iPhone+Tether+Wi-Fi iPad vs. 3G iPad?

RANDOM MUSING:
If you own an iPhone, you can tether the phone to a wi-fi iPad. Or, you can get a 3G iPad.

Cheaper to tether, but it drains the more limited battery of the iPhone. But you can also tether it to other devices.

Is there a consensus on the forums as to which method is more popular?

I'm personally leaning towards a 3G iPad 3 to replace my wifi iPad 1. I don't have much else to tether to, but it would be nice when I need it.

You could try making a poll. But personally, I use tethering. It's literally 2 clicks on my phone, 4G speeds, and works great. I do not see a reason for another monthly bill.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
You could try making a poll. But personally, I use tethering. It's literally 2 clicks on my phone, 4G speeds, and works great. I do not see a reason for another monthly bill.

Yea, I guess Jailbreak + mywi to tether the iPhone/iPad "free" is the best solution. I think that is even more brutal on battery life for the iPhone though.

But paying for the privilege of tethering vs paying iPad 3G is pretty similar in price.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
$20 for tethering plan vs. $25 for 2GB iPad plan....pretty similar if you ask me.

For the original question, I tether for light use (web browsing, news, etc) and activate 3G for one month when traveling.

The tethering plan will give you 4GB, which is quite substantial if you use over 2GB regularly.

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
For the original question, I tether for light use (web browsing, news, etc) and activate 3G for one month when traveling.

Similar situation for me. I'm happy to have a 3G iPad, but I rarely activate 3G while at home. I usually tether to my iPhone with MyWi-OnDemand. It pretty much connects automatically when needed and it uses Bluetooth which is much easier on the iPhone battery than WiFi.

When I travel internationally, I get a local data sim for my iPad and tether my iPhone, laptop and family members' devices from the iPad. It works great and the iPad battery still lasts a long time.

Stefx73

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2011
Canada
Two of my colleagues complained that their iPhone4 gets hot in the holster with the wifi hotspot feature on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.