Is there going to be a new iPad mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Wgrif, Feb 9, 2017.

?

Would you like to see all of the iPads released this year to have the about the same tech specs?

Poll closed Feb 16, 2017.
  1. Yes

56.3%
  2. No

43.8%
  1. Wgrif macrumors newbie

Wgrif

Is there going to be a new iPad mini released this year? I've been checking macrumors everyday and I haven't seen anything about a new iPad mini. There might have been a post on macrumors that I've not seen about a new iPad mini. Thanks!

2. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

There's been about 3 other threads about this in recent weeks.

3. Wgrif thread starter macrumors newbie

Wgrif

--- Post Merged, Feb 9, 2017 ---
    Ok thanks

4. Check 6 macrumors regular

I certainly hope so. The smaller size is perfect for use while flying. My 9.7 iPad pro is a fantastic tablet but a little big for the cockpit. The current iPad mini is a little slow for some of the apps I use.

5. HarryWild macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

This is the one thing that bother me about Apple product is that size of the device dictates the technology that goes inside it! Smaller size model gets two year old SOC and less RAM in general, but price is same or maybe $100 less! Totally unacceptable going forward when Apple stuff approaching $1,000 per device!

6. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I do not think so as like you said, not even a rumor.

7. bensisko, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017

bensisko macrumors 65816

There's barely been any rumors of other iPads. If you look at it, fewer than ten rumors are fueling the entire wind up about March's supposed iPads (yet we accept these as gospel) - and none of them are physical (a.k.a. No part leaks). When it really comes down to it, we have Kuo's report and everything has been based off that in some fashion.

As to the question in the poll, which seems unrelated to the title of the thread, sure - why not? The problem is, from an engineering perspective, that's probably not practical - especially with the mini. It's not like they just take the same components from the 9.7' line and stick them in the mini - they have to miniaturize them while, at the same time, figuring things like heat management, getting more out of a smaller battery, etc.

8. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I agree on the not practical part as Apple circuit boards are already some of the highest density boards on the market. I liked the mini but in the end always go with the 9.7 model. Excited that new iPad might be coming soon but still very happy with my two 9.7s.

9. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Next month Apple will not release new Mini and it will be replaced by new 9.7 inches iPad Air 3 with many new features.

10. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

Sorry, but the price point the Mini sells at doesn't dictate that it gets the same processor family as the larger iPads.

11. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Correct me if Im wrong, but I also dont remember there being any rumors for the mini 4, aside from the one where the whole mini line may be discontinued. If there is a new mini, I doubt there would be anything significant done to it. Maybe the A9 or A9x chip and a rose gold option, and if we are lucky a slight ram boost and 4 speakers. That is my thought on why there are no rumors on it.

My belief is that there will be a mini refresh this year (maybe even in the fall if not the spring), but the refresh wouldnt bring anything major to convince mini 4 users to upgrade. Its unfortunate because the mini is actually my preferred ipad for all tasks (with the exception of netflix, that one is better on the pro for me because of the speakers) and I would love to see pencil support come to the mini, but im not holding my breath.

12. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Agreed, I am afraid they are going to be discontinued, too! It will be ashamed as many love the size of the Mini

13. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Agree. Personally all I really want this time around is a 256gb option for the mini. I'm running out of space on my 128gb mini, and that's more noticeable now that even the iPhone has that storage capacity as an option.

14. HarryWild macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

Increase the price on the new Mini then and make it state of the art! Apple ioves to rip off the small device buyer!

15. bufffilm, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017

bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

Other Mini owners might be opposed to a price hike.

1gen behind on the Mini's processor isn't a terrible thing. Keeps the price down and helps recoup R&D costs.

I really don't care if the Mini goes or stays. But I do think having 3 size selections on the iPad is good though.

16. bensisko macrumors 65816

Give me a break.

17. nutriousmitten macrumors regular

Wrestling with the Mini vs Air or Pro. I assume the latter two will be updated, but the Mini 4 form factor is great. Wife has an Air 2 and daughter a Mini 2, so I can do some comparisons first hand. Really like the one handedness of the Mini.

I can singlehandedly grip hold an Air 2/Pro 9 by stretching my fingers across the back, just barely. Of course more content on the screen is better, and, most usage will be at home. But picking up the superlight Mini just seems more convenient and more enjoyable than the Air/Pro because it is so portable.

YOLO but can't get both...so will hold firm with waiting out to see how they revamp the Ipad line next in the next month.

Pie in the sky dream, but a bezel-less Mini Pro/5, getting the screen to be 8.6 or 8.7' would be almost perfect. Small size but approaching a 9" screen. Just sold my Nexus 9, and although Ok, the best part about that was the perfect 8.9 form factor (and front facing speakers).

18. Kostas3000 macrumors member

I feel exactly the same: bezel-less iPad mini pro is the best size.

19. bensisko macrumors 65816

Well... if you don't need the stylus, forget the Pro.

If you're prepared to spend Pro money, you can easily buy an Air 2 and a Mini 2.

20. nutriousmitten, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017

nutriousmitten macrumors regular

Yeah, I had a Pro for two weeks to try it last month, and just found it fantastic. Hadn't played much with my wife's Air 2 since she got it, so our Ipad 3 was my frame of reference for Ipad's, (I'd had a Nexus 9 for almost two years for myself). But speakers, display, and just the overall snappiness won me over, along with potential stylus support down the road and, importantly, more futureproofed than the Air 2 at this point.

At full retail, Ipad Mini 4 and Air 2 32GB's, would be $200 more then a 32gb IPP. That's crazy talk to get both though, but both are great in certain situations. Edit: saw you said Mini 2, so yes, you're right, it would be the same.

Once we'll see how the specs are on the new ones, how the 10.5 fits in there for price and specs, weighed out with potential price drops clearing out existing EOL stock if that's what happens, see where we're at.

21. bensisko macrumors 65816

Honestly the Pencil is the only reason (but a danged good one) for the 9.7 Pro (the speakers are nice too). The 9.7 Pro is no more "futureproof" than the Air 2.

It's not so crazy for multiple iPads. I myself have... um.. well... a couple. Actually, I have all three of the current line and use them all for different purposes.

The reason I suggested the Air 2 and the Mini 2 is the discounted price and that, while the Air 2 would be the main, you probably wouldn't need the Mini to be as powerful.

22. nutriousmitten macrumors regular

Well, futureproof in so far as the something released October 2014 vs something March 2016 in theory should mean another 1-2 additional years support down the road from Apple. And in a month, tack on another year for the upcoming models.
    Yeah, I could probably make a case for two, maybe even make one of them a cellular model to switch it up. But it's still money for a second tablet, that can be spent somewhere else and certainly not leaving me wanting as far as what is basically a luxury item if I'd "only" get one.

We'll see what March's announcement brings as far as the new ones and what current models will still be around, hopefully with price drops (ie on the Mini 4 if a Mini Pro is out).

23. Prozak0820 macrumors regular

Prozak0820

Just sold my iPad mini 4 64GB wifi for $350 just to buy a new iPad in march if they come out if not then I can wait I have a spare iPad mini 2.