Is there going to be a NEW MacBook Pro in September?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TylerD., Aug 23, 2008.

  1. TylerD. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2008
    Location:
    Long Beach, CA.
    #1
    I am curious what everyone out in MacRumors Land thinks about a new MacBook Pro this September. There was a lot of talk about there being a new MacBook and MacBook Pro a few weeks ago (new processors and supposed new bushed aluminum case) but now there are new rumors talking about a new MacBook Air and a whole line of new IPods or revisions to IPods. Not to mention new Cinemas and mac pro. It seems highly unlikely that Apple would bring out so many new products at the same time. Especially when the IPhone 3G just came out last month. Along with the whole MobileMe launch. So with all this speculation it seems that things are changing by the day. Many of the Apple items are due for updates but the real question is which one's will be launched in September?
    :D
    Personally I hope it is the MacBook and MacBook Pro!
     
  2. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #2
    Please search and do not post duplicate threads.
     
  3. HLdan macrumors 603

    HLdan

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2007
    #3
    Other than the iMacs and MBP's every other Mac is overdue for an update. September is music month for Apple and back to school month. Historically the pro-series notebooks aren't touched until late October.

    Right now we need a Macbook Air, Macbook and Mac mini update honestly. The MBP can wait.
     
  4. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 26, 2008
    Location:
    Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
    #4
    Amen, my dad really wants to try a Mac since he hates Vista. He travels 20 days out of a month, so he'll only consider the Air. However he needs one with removable battery, and maybe a CD drive(though less important).
     
  5. Bow Rekk macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2007
    Location:
    UK
  6. anirban macrumors 6502a

    anirban

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2007
    Location:
    Houston, TX
  7. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

    bobbleheadbob

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2007
    Location:
    Massachusetts
    #7
    Who knows? :confused: Probably just Steve Jobs and he's not saying. So the answer is maybe. We'll all just have to wait and see.
     
  8. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

    greenmymac

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2007
    Location:
    Tulsa, Ok
    #8
    I doubt september will show new MBPs look at the "rumors"

    New iPod Line up
    New iTunes Features
    Blu Ray
    New Macbooks
    New Macbook Airs

    I highly doubt they will replace the entire lineup of notebooks in one month!
     
  9. jTreu macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 20, 2006
    #9
    i think there has to be, with apple using intel chips now they pretty much have to update as the new chips come out to stay competitive.
     
  10. mct74 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2008
    #10
    Not sure the MBP can wait since the current model has a defective video card in it... Waiting to switch to a mac from Dell and no way I am pulling the trigger until Apple makes a change in the MBP. To spend that kind of crazy money on a defective laptop is just insane....
     
  11. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

    greenmymac

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2007
    Location:
    Tulsa, Ok
    #11
    You can make the switch now....... its not like if you end up with a defective one Apple will fix it or replace it!
     
  12. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2007
    #12
    And if it happens after your warranty has expired you're SOL. I too am waiting for a new MBP to be released before I pull the trigger(mouse button :p).
     
  13. RandiC macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2008
    #13
    How do you know for sure the nvidia card in the MBP is defective? Nobody from Apple or Nvidia have stated that. So far Dell and HP have had the problems. So don't say DEFECTIVE unless its a fact.
     
  14. mct74 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2008
    #14
    exactly.... like it or not, Apple is shooting themselves in the foot by not addressing this issue. I have tried to call Apple and talk to "Geniuses" at the store and all I get from them is that they have never heard of any issues with the MBP's video card. :rolleyes:

    That kind of response just does not give me the warm fuzzies since each person I talked to gives the same "rehearsed" response showing me that they have, in fact, heard of the problem and have been instructed to lie about it.

    Apple would get a lot more switchers like me if they just addressed this once and for all. Even if it is a "yep - we are aware of the issue and have already resolved it" or something that just at least admits that they are aware of the problems.
     
  15. mct74 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2008
    #15
    I spoke to an NVIDIA senior technician last week and stayed on the phone until I got a straight answer and he admitted that the cards used in the MBP's made before July were indeed defective. So this is fact. I would not say otherwise if I did not do my due diligence.
     
  16. RandiC macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2008
    #16
    So if the problem was fixed around July then why would you still call it defective? Wouldn't you buy now?
     
  17. mct74 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2008
    #17
    Because there is no way for me to know if the MBP I buy today has a video card built before July. Apple buys these in bulk so no telling what date your video card was made.

    Bottom line - I want a MBP, but with all of the reports of issues and being told this by an NVIDIA tech, just makes me want to wait for the new model - that's all. It is my choice. If you want to buy the current one - go for it. :)
     
  18. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

    greenmymac

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2007
    Location:
    Tulsa, Ok
    #18
    Who is to say when they release the new models there wont be a defect in them that no one knows about including Apple... At least with the Current models NVIDIA and Apple are aware of the issue.. so in the future apple will have a permanent fix or just issue a simple firmware update!
     
  19. RandiC macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2008
    #19
    I did buy the current one.....Thanks
     
  20. mct74 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2008
    #20
    That's just it sadly... Apple says they are not aware of the issue.

    Believe me - I have tried to get someone at Apple to admit they are aware of the issue. Everyone I have talked to says they have never even heard of the issue. I have only gotten confirmation from NVIDIA. If Apple released a statement saying they were aware of the issue and had a plan of action on what was done to resolve it or what they are doing to resolve it like they have with other things (the Mobile Me issue or Nano battery issues, etc.), I guess I would feel a little better about paying $3,000 for a laptop. There is just a sense of uncertainty on this issue from Apple that makes me hesitant is all.

    Regardless, I do appreciate your input. I too have had the same thoughts about the new models having new, unknown issues (as is common when new revisions come out). Until they are released and people start using them, I guess we won't know.

    I do look forward to getting my MBP though and checking out this site more often.
     
  21. mct74 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2008
    #21
    That's cool - and I honestly think it is a kick butt laptop. Don't want you to think I am dissing on your hardware. I do realize some are not affected, and I sincerely hope yours never runs into an issue with its video card. I am just facing a large investment here and am trying to be as cautious as possible in this purchase.

    Enjoy your MBP - I hope to join the ranks of MBP owner soon too! :)
     
  22. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2008
    #22
    Nah, you're right. They'll saddle the MBs with 1066 MHz FSBs, and leave the old MBPs with 800 MHz ones. Good thinking :)
     
  23. Shot22 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2008
    #23
    I agree. The fact alone that the iPod updates will be in September makes me doubt any notebook refreshes. If they also release iTunes 8.0 and iPhone OS 2.1 in September, then there's clearly no room for new MacBooks....
     
  24. Brien macrumors 68020

    Brien

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2008
    #24
    ... which means they might pop up beforehand (late August) or at MWSF.

    I don't think Apple would update the Macbook/Air before the Pro, but they've proved me wrong plenty of times beforehand.
     
  25. m1stake macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2008
    Location:
    Philly
    #25
    Each MWSF or WWDC has one big bomb along with some medium sized stuff, the MBA was MW08, the iPhone 3G was WWDC08. Don't get your hopes up for a huge MAC PRO, CINEMA DISPLAY, MACBOOK PRO, NEW AMAZING PRODUCT, event.
     

Share This Page