Is there going to be another Macbook Pro (Non-Retina)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AqeeloOo, Jul 17, 2013.

1. AqeeloOo macrumors newbie

Hello everyone.
    I just wanted to ask/ to know if there is ever going to be a new non-retina Macbook Pro? I'm so sick of waiting for any news about them? They're supposed to come out June.. What's taking them so long?
    I don't want to rush and buy mid-2012 non-retina Macbook Pro, and then regret that decision a few months later..
    If anyone has any idea whether they're discontinuing the non-retina MBP.. or any predictions or thought as to when they're going to release it IF there's going to be one?
    Thank you for reading.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Only Apple knows, we'll have to wait and see what gets released when they unveil the Haswell based laptops

3. vespid macrumors newbie

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for one. If you really need a cMBP, I would buy refurbished.

4. scbond macrumors 6502

Or brand new seeing as they are still in production and being stocked with no plans to stop announced by Apple.

5. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

6. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

I'm also lying in wait for a new cMBP. I know that theoretically the rMBP is a better buy, and for many it probably is a better buy, but as long as the rMBP has non-upgradeable ram and a proprietary SSD, they can keep it. The retina screen is just not that important to me.

7. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

well they are moving into that direction, probably this or last years model will be the last man standing.

8. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Yea I know... I will end up saving up and buying the last cMBP model, upgrade it as far as it will go over time(when I can afford to do the upgrades), and ride that one out until it can't be repaired anymore.

By that time we'll see if Apple has come up with anything more impressive than "oohh pretty screen". And I know there's more to the rMBP than the screen, but the only other thing that makes the rMBP nice is the new fan system giving it better cooling, and there's frankly nothing wrong with cooling in my cMBP.

9. Stetrain macrumors 68040

But since they've been in production for a year now with no price drops then buying one at full retail price isn't that great of a deal.

As for whether the non-retina models get updated, I would say it's most likely that they will simply continue to be sold in their current Ivy Bridge incarnations for a while after the new retina models are announced. The other possibility is that they get an extremely minimal upgrade. CPUs move directly to their Haswell equivalents, GPU in the 15" moves to whatever the current equivalent is from NVidia or AMD, and no other changes.

10. ramram55 macrumors 6502

There is no point of guessing what happens in the future of cmbp, if you do not need it now, ride it till it cannot be supported or repaired anymore, if you have ssd should get you through 2015, no guarantee though.:)

11. washburn macrumors 6502

I think the cMBP is still selling well, some people don't like the distorted, blurry images you get with retina and not all apps have been converted for it so it will be a while yet before everything goes retina.

12. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I'd wait until the MBPs are refreshed, shouldn't be long now. Maybe a month or two. If they don't get updated, you could buy a refurb model for less, and if they do, buy a new one.

Win-win really.

13. AqeeloOo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you everyone for your suggestions :)
    I guess I'll just wait. I don't really need one RIGHT NOW.
    I just hope they announce something before the year ends :rolleyes:
    Or release it between Early 2014 - Mid 2014

14. Binomio macrumors member

I believe Apple is working on the next (last?) non Retina Macbook Pro.

Apple names each model by its own internal model name
    The Retinas use Dxx, the Airs and cMBP use Jxx. The last cMBPs used j30 and j31, the latest Airs use j4x If those benchmarks are true
    we can say that J44 is the 13cmbp and J45 is the 15cmbp.
    Just my guess.

15. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

where did you get the J3X and DXX ?
    link please.

16. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I said this in another one of these threads, but I'd say you're looking at 3-5 years before the cMBP is phased out.

17. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

18. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

Why do you say 3-5 years? Website looks like it'll only be another 3-5 months. Maybe it's around another 12-24 months as a special "education model," reminiscent of the MacBook's swan song, but 3-5 years? I'll take the under.

>