Is there hope for Siri?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by chfilm, Oct 14, 2016.

1. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

Hey guys,

I love the new features of Siri on ios10, like being able to call a Uber or send money.
    It's seriously useful, and I have high hopes they'll add to do list apps next, that'd be just great: "add 'buy groceries' to 'things'" and stuff.

But why, oh why are these features not available on our beloved watch?? This is where it would come in handy the most! Just ask your watch to order a cab, instead of fiddling around with the app or pulling out the iPhone 7+.

Do you think there's hope this will get to the watch eventually?

2. Relentless Power, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016

Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Siri and the Apple Watch is still evolving. Being the Siri is heavily reliant with the Apple Watch, I do See Siri evolving. I personally would like to give Siri a voice, with feedback from the Apple Watch. The speaker is sufficient enough for audible feedback.

3. chfilm thread starter macrumors 65816

chfilm

I just don't understand why They didn't give Siri on the watch the ability to Interact with the same apps in the same way she can on the phone!

4. tromboneaholic macrumors 6502a

tromboneaholic

It is a little annoying that Siri has split personalities when it comes to iPhone, Watch, Mac, and Apple TV.

5. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

Ugh Siri can't even Shazam a song on the watch, it is ridiculous.

6. julesme macrumors regular

While watching Westworld I asked Siri (via the Watch), "Who composed the music for Game of Thrones?" as I thought it might be the same composer as Westworld and figured this would be a piece of cake for Siri!

Instead of an answer to this basic query, I was told that Siri can "help with TV shows on your iPhone." I then paused the show, tried to remember where I'd left my phone, and walked over to continue the search, but even with the full power of the phone, Siri could not find the correct answer.

Come on Apple!

Edit: Now I see it works on the phone if I phrase it as, "Hey Siri, ask Google who composed the music for Game of Thrones." Siri conducts a Google search and shows me Google's answer.

7. Ollé macrumors member

Ollé

I think the Google's release of the Pixel with integrated Google Assistant (or whatever it is called) currently trumps Siri simply for the amount of data that Google can throw behind it. I hope that it gives Apple a kick in the arse they need to bring Siri up to scratch.

8. xDKP macrumors 65816

xDKP

They really need to double down the Siri effort. I currently use it for very basic stuff - Countdowns during cooking, setting alarms and such, but nothing advanced as it never really succeeds.

9. twinlight macrumors 6502

twinlight

The microphone is too low quality for that sadly.

I don't understand why Siri can't use the phone microphone though. It's alot she can't do or understand that is baffling.

Turn off my AppleTV.. I can't do that
    Play music on my iPad.. I can't do that
    Connect to my speakers.. I can't do anything
    Set a timer for 1 hour.. Ok I set the timer

10. ISRMafia macrumors regular

ISRMafia

I do agree google is a much better assistant but the way Apple treats privacy is blocking the way for Siri, If Apple wouldnt care at all about privacy like google does Siri could have been as good as google assistant . Imo anyway

11. julesme macrumors regular

Much of what Siri gets wrong has nothing to do with personal data/privacy. As an example, try asking, "How old is Michael Phelps?" After Siri comes up with 55 years of age, try again with, "How old is the swimmer Michael Phelps?" After a second wrong answer, try "Search Google for how old is Michael Phelps?" and Google will give you the correct answer.

12. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

Siri is just pathetic, especially between devices. I nicknamed her Cybil after the mini-series about multiple personalities.

13. Otaviano macrumors 6502a

Otaviano

Siri gets a lot of bad press, part of it is understandable because when that kind of tech fails it is really frustrating. However I do not think for one minute that Apple is sitting on their butts and not working on Siri. People who talk about Alexa and now Google Assistant often neglect the fact that Siri speaks a lot more languages than those services. So Amazon and Google might have passed Siri slightly in that area but Apple has pushed Siri more internationally. I suspect in the coming year Siri is going to get a major update and become a lot better. It was introduced over 5 years ago now, so there has probably been a lot of work happening behind closed doors.

As far as the Apple Watch goes, I think Siri has a bright future on there. It really is one of the best ways to interact with the watch. So if the Apple Watch sticks around expect Siri to stick around and improve little by little.

Since getting my Apple Watch last week I've become very bullish on the product. In a few years the Apple watch could replace the iPhone. Once they can put 4G on there and get good battery life it really blows the doors open for redefining the iPhone and maybe merging it with the iPad.