iPad mini IS there much difference between A6X chip and A7 on an ipad mini's?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rsquirrel, Jun 9, 2014.

1. rsquirrel, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014

rsquirrel macrumors member

I purchased a brand new ipad mini with retina, but now I see that there is a refurbished one from Apple for $81 cheaper including taxes.

What would you do? I have not opened up the new ipad mini yet so I could return it.

Is the A6X chip much slower than the A7? That's the only difference I noticed.

2. hallidc, Jun 9, 2014

hallidc macrumors 6502

hallidc

I found that the A7 chip is slightly faster. The first gen mini doesn't have Retina display, in which the one you purchased does (I prefer retina as the screen is beautiful). If it were me I'd keep the retina mini (once you go Retina, its hard to go back :p)

*assuming your comparing iPad Mini's

3. rsquirrel thread starter macrumors member

The refurbished one also has retina. They are almost exactly the same only thing I can see that is different is the chip and that it's a refurbished one.

Oops! It is a 4th generation that is the refurbished it was manufactured in Oct.2013.

4. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

you are confusing full sized iPads with minis. there are 2 mini generations. retina and non retina. in my opinion, if you have the money go with a retina, if not, a non retina is fine too.

5. hallidc macrumors 6502

hallidc

It depends on which screen size you prefer. I would opt for the mini w/ retina.

6. rsquirrel thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for the confusion. I messed up when I looked at the refurbished ipad. I thought I was looking at mini's but I wasn't.

I do want a mini not the full sized pad.

7. Night Spring, Jun 9, 2014

Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Original iPad mini had the A5 chip, not A6x.
    The iPad that has the A6x is the iPad 4, which has a 9.7 inch screen. An iPad mini has a 7.9 inch screen.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad

For a $81 difference, just keep the one you have now. I doubt it's worth the hassle of returning and reordering, only to end up with a device that is a generation older. Unless you want one with a larger screen, in which case the 4th gen is a great device.

8. Menel Suspended

Menel

This does not exist.

9. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

did you finally buy the mini at $200 at Target?

I still haven't opened mine, still debating whether I want to or not--LOL

10. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

yeah i bought it. i'm going to keep it around for a while, and then sell it in probably january/february once an iOS 8 jailbreak is out, and get a new next gen mini. the non retina kinda sucks, but i mean it was cheaper than a base model iPod touch... an iPad being the cheapest iOS device? sounds like a good deal to me.

11. HiDEF, Jun 9, 2014

HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

IS there much difference between A6X chip and A7 on an ipad mini's?

I don't wanna hijack the thread so I'll make it short.

I understand the retina mini is better but for $200 you can't go wrong.

I haven't opened mines because I'm kinda hoping that just maybe the retinas go on sale for fathers day but, I highly doubt it. And if they do, its probably not as good of a deal.

Anyways, enjoy the purchase!

12. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

Ipad rMini has a A7. Ipad 4 has the A6x... Main difference? A7 is a 64-bit structure On the other hand to A6x on the iPad 4 is only 32 bit. A7 chip also has and m7 coprocessor

13. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

thanks. yeah I'm leaving for europe on thursday so this will be a great device to have around.

14. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

It's going to make a difference with iOS 8 just for the fact that you can do computational photography via 64bit