Is There Native iPad iDisk Support Via MobileMe's Cloud?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by boltjames, May 8, 2010.

1. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

As the iPad quickly replaces our notebooks and becomes the travel companion of choice, there's going to be the need to store spreadsheets, documents, and presentations (what we Windows folks would call Excel, Word, and Powerpoint files) either on the device or on our iDisk accounts in the Cloud.

Am I missing something and this functionality exists natively, or must I really download a non-Apple app to accomplish this? Or must I run the Apple versions of those aforementioned Windows Office applications?

TIA

BJ

2. msavwah macrumors 6502

AppStore
    MobileMe iDisk

There several other alternatives
    Dropbox
    Box.net
    Uploadingit
    And more

3. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I've been messing with iwork.com (free).

its proven a bit awkward.

I'm using it with Apple's Pages app.

4. Scuba-EMT macrumors regular

Scuba-EMT

I tried to purchase it from the IPad and it says unable to purchase. Is it smart enough to know I am trying to put it on an IPad?

5. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68030

boltjames

Thank you. Just downed Good Reader and it's great. Any Windows based file I up to MobileMe is readable and clear. Can't advance PowerPoint slides (you need to use your finger and swipe) but they say that's coming soon.

Tried the official MobileMe app but because it's for iPhone it makes all the files display blurry at 2x.

Thanks again.

BJ

6. andy007 macrumors regular

I hope Apple hurry up and release an iPad version of this.

7. Retops macrumors regular

Another vote for Goodreader

Goodreader has been a godsend for me as I am using my iPad more and more for work. I had not found a satisfactory way to move files to the iPad until I started using goodreader and the iDisk feature of MobileMe, and now I have uploaded over 100 presentations and lots of spreadsheets and documents. Apple will no doubt come out with something of their own, but for now I am able to get real work done to my satisfaction.

8. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Can you use GoodReader to read and write documents on a network share? I didn't see anything in the user manual, but could be blind...

9. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

GoodReader is way better than Apple's iDisk app for the iPhone. Don't bother with it.

GoodReader can read/write files off a local network share as long as it's set up as a WebDav resource.

10. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68030

boltjames

With Goodreader, do the files stay on the iPad's drive if you're disconnected from the internet?

For example, if I'm on a plane at 20,000 feet and trying to watch, ahem, a few "art" videos in the bathroom that have been pulled down from the MobileMe cloud, will they be there for me to view or must I be connected to the server in order for them to be available?

BJ

11. cbdoc macrumors member

Yes, it actually downloads the file to the iPad/iPhone.

12. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68030

boltjames

Cool. And, as an added bonus, any pr0n you hide in Goodreader doesn't show up in Videos > Movies so there's no fear that the wife will use the iPad and discover a trove of questionable media so long as she doesn't hit the Goodreader icon.

Is that correct?

BJ

13. PsyD4Me macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

The iPad will never replace note notebooks, especially quickly

14. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68030

boltjames

As a 2009 World Champion New York Yankees fan, I can't sponsor you for enrollment in the 3G Elitist Club.

Sorry.

BJ