Is there no third-party cheaper Apple Watch cables?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by Kendo, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

I'm a fan of the Anker Lightning cables that cost around $8 but found there are no third-party Apple Watch charging cables. What gives?

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Maybe ask Anker?

I got a couple extra pucks from AW that I no longer use. Do not see a big market.

3. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Truthfully, unless it was a reputable brand (Anker/Belkin for example), I wouldn't trust other third party companies for charging cables for the Watch, regardless if they exist or not. It's just a safer bet.

5. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Still not any 3rd party brands that I see. Prices seem to start around $27 no matter where you look.

6. mellofello macrumors 65816

It is annoying that you can't just use a regular wireless charger you should be able to get home and drop your phone airpods and watch on One charging pad

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Thats Because Apple will have their proprietary AirPower charging pad and they want that to be exclusive to the Apple Watch. (Amongst Charging the 8/X and Airpod Charging Case when released.)

8. iMacDragon macrumors 68000

iMacDragon

I thought series 3 now did support normal qi charging?

9. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

The iPhone supports more standard QI charging but the :apple:Watch still 'fudges' the QI standard so any charging puck/matt needs to be MFi certified. I think there have been some instances where it will work but by and large it won't. Also doesn't work on my QI charger stand.

10. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Also those random cables are more susceptible for potential device damage. Maybe not visible in short use but maybe visible in the long run. I recently abandon my $1 cable in favor of Apple official cable that is whopping 30x more expensive, mainly for the peace of mind and care more about my device safety. I guess this could be a placebo effect but still.

11. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

It is placebo since a cable can't likely 'damage' the device. The charger is located inside the device (NOT what you plug in) and regulates the amount of current that passes into the battery.

12. CobraPA macrumors 6502a

There are a few Apple Watch cables by third parties on Amazon now (Mpio, Upso, Poweradd), but they don't seem to be cheaper. I'm not really sure what the point is... Some are even MFi certified.

13. Mr-Fly macrumors regular

I bought the UGREEN Watch Stand Wireless for my AW3. It works great on the bedside table. Paid 27€ for it and it comes with the charger included which is MFi certified. The original cable just goes on Travel with me.

14. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Juliens post explains it Best. Essentially the Apple Watch does have the capability, but many products don’t charge it effectively. The Airpower will when it releases.

15. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I would stick with the OEM charger. Too much risk for damage to the device and possible fire with uncertified brand x.

16. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

I believe it is not. Someone tears several charging cables apart, including apple’s cable. Those “gas station” cable from random brands are in such low quality that the components inside don’t stay when the shell is removed. Also, I have seen a lot of cases which people uses bad USB cable and eventually damages the USB hard drive.

17. charlyham macrumors regular

charlyham

I was also looking for an extra charge cable for the office and could not find anything in the range you mention regarding lightning cables from Anker. I am also an Anker fan but I got one of these instead for $40.
    https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Po...2&sr=8-4&keywords=apple+watch+battery+charger
    It is a portable battery with a standard usb-micro usb connector cable. I now carry in my laptop case if needed at the office and because it has a battery, you can use it when no AC power source is available.

18. Mr-Fly macrumors regular

But I thought we are talking about wireless chargers here?
    The charging unit itself is in the watch. It gets wireless current. I do believe that it is nearly impossible to kill the watch with a wireless charger, except you connect the charging cable to 110 or 220 and put the watch on it :)

19. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Well, the current has a quality standard. Low quality charging current also can kill the battery, which some cheap wireless chargers would generate. Unlike wire, wireless charging also need to consider signal interference and more.

So it is totally possible to kill the watch with a bad wireless charger.

20. cyclingplatypus macrumors 65816

cyclingplatypus

21. Julien, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018

Julien macrumors G4

Julien

The charger is inside the Apple Watch. So it is not possible to have a 'bad charger' unless the watch is defective. Also what do you mean by "current has a quality standard"? Current has a rating V=I×R but don't understand how you rate 'quality'. Is it the R (resistance) of the wire?

Also the current (electrons) in the charging wire/puck is not even the same current that is in the Apple Watch since it creates it's own current from the magnetic induction coil.

22. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.