Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jossshr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
I have tried everything I know of to stop the buzzing in my car.
I wrapped the connectors in aluminum foil, held it at all possible spots away from the speakers and tried using the iphone dock. The only thing that has worked so far is to hold it between my legs and it still buzzes unless I put my hand over it (awkward looking), but I want to put a dock or holder somewhere in the car.

Anyone have any more suggestions for getting rid of this? Maybe there is a case that would help or a cable with more shielding? Or something I can do to my car speakers?

I am using a cassette adapter. Does installing an auxiliary input reduce the buzzing?

Airplane mode is not an acceptable suggestion.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Haha. I found that when my iPhone is Charging from the car that is when I get the most interference... Very weird.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2002
some questions:

is there such a thing as a tape adapter that receives it's audio through bluetooth? (i know iphone doesn't have this yet.... just wondering if it was made)

would this interference take place if the audio was transmitted through bluetooth?

r.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2002
I found this, looks like it is not offered on the manufacturer's site though.

now is there a small device that takes audio in through a 1/8" jack, and outputs through bluetooth using the audio profile necessary?

.... hmmmmmmm...

r.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Well you could replace you car speakers with some better ones. In my car my GSM phone as never set off the speaker buzz. It does not matter where the phone is in the car (even sitting with in inches of one of the speakers when a call came in) it has never made the buzz.

jossshr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
I decided take my door off and wrap the speakers in foil. We'll see how that does.

Anyone have any suggestions for new speakers? Maybe I should just wait. I'm sure someone will release something soon to remedy this.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I decided take my door off and wrap the speakers in foil. We'll see how that does.

Anyone have any suggestions for new speakers? Maybe I should just wait. I'm sure someone will release something soon to remedy this.

problem with the speaker buzz is their is no real way to remove it dealing with the phone short of blocking all signals out of the phone. It is wave length GSM uses that cause it. For the speakers they just need to be shielded. in some way.

rwwlaw

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2007
Buy a better car. Doesn't happen in Infiniti M35. Nor does it happen next to my home theatre speakers. However rips my HP speakers apart!

fj2007cruiser

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2007
Long Island NY
Wrapping speakers won't help.
The interference is being picked up by the head or amp section of the tuner.
Not sure how to eliminate. Probably some sort of filter.

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Does it do it when you're not playing music?

You say you are using a cassette adapter. Are you also using a charger too?

If that's the case, unplug the charger and let the phone operate off the batteries. That's the only way for me to get clear sound without noise.

My ipod and iphone will both make noise if I'm listening to music and charging at the same time (I use an aux port, which is a direct connection, just like a tape adapter). The problem lies with the grounding system used in cars. The cigarette lighter typically is on a different ground than the radio. You'll get all kinds of noise because of this.

Joshua8o8

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Honolulu, Hawai'i
I heard the buzz for the first time today. I recently took my iphone out of its clear belkin case so it now fits in the dock. My Monster surge protector is in behind my tv and i have a small desk next to my tv sand with a sony sound system on it. Since the usb cord is not that long i have to set up the dock right next to the reciever. Now i hear the buzz about once a minute and i dont think the dock is going to stay there much longer. Its too bad it does this because thats a perfect spot for my phone while charging.

jossshr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Does it do it when you're not playing music?

You say you are using a cassette adapter. Are you also using a charger too?

I am not using a car charger. Maybe I just need to get an aux input adapter. I installed one in my last car, but have avoided it thus far. But I'm afraid even after doing that it won't change.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Wow, really? Really? Bluetooth to cassette adapter? That's about the most ridiculous setup I've ever heard. Talk about new meets old. Seems like an oxymoron to me.

I have a novel suggestion: Have you tried wrapping your head in tinfoil? Keeps out aliens and the GSM noise, the two great dangers that face this planet.

slapguts

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Wow, really? Really? Bluetooth to cassette adapter? That's about the most ridiculous setup I've ever heard. Talk about new meets old. Seems like an oxymoron to me.

I used to drive an older company truck 9+ hours a day that only had a tape deck. That would have kicked ass at the time.

m477h3w

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
Bristol, UK
I would love to know how to reduce the buzz, although I know it isn't really possible.

I work for a radio station as a presenter, and four hours in the studio with buzzing in my ears every few minutes is getting very annoying :mad: Not only is it giving me a headache, but I keep thinking I am popular :D

I may have to do the unthinkable and turn my iPhone off whilst on air :eek:

gazzzmoly

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
i read on mac osx hints that if you use electrical tape to tape some foil to the back of the iphone that stops it

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
i read on mac osx hints that if you use electrical tape to tape some foil to the back of the iphone that stops it

That will do wonders for the signal. The noise comes from the transmitter in the phone. If you reduce the noise you're reducing the signal. You'd have to put foil down in the plastic area at the bottom. That's where the antenna is located.

The noise has nothing to do with the speakers as previously commented on earlier in the thread. It's the radio transmitter of the phone getting into the audio circuitry of the head unit in the car. I have a fairly lengthy cable that connects mine to the head unit through the Auxiliary connector. I just set the phone on the console extension between the seats and that distance attenuates the signal enough to keep it out of the car audio. The inverse-square law says that the RF field will reduce exponentially to the square of the distance. In layman's terms, the more distance you put between the transmitter and the head unit the more noise will fall off exponentially.

Zwief

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2008
Ferrite Filter from Radio Shack

Like many readers, I've been trying to eliminate GSM buzz over my cassette adapter in my car. I finally found a method that eliminates ~98% of the buzz.

I am using a standard Belkin cassette adapter and was angry to find out that NO ONE makes a shielded cassette adapter. So I tried the "Tin foil" method... which didn't work. I went as far as wrapping my ENTIRE cord in tin foil and using black electrical tape (so it didn't look ridiculous)...

I finally bought 2 ferrite filters from Radio Shack for $5 each. I put one right next to the phone and one right next to the tape deck. (I don't know if both are needed, but I was VERY sick of the buzz so I over did it.

Now I have a cable that is wrapped in tin foil and black electrical tape and has two in-line filters. The only time I hear buzz is when getting a call... and even that is very minimal. When I use the internet I get NO buzz... even with the phone right next to the cassette player.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Haha. I found that when my iPhone is Charging from the car that is when I get the most interference... Very weird.

The first time I used my iPod in my car with a charger, I noticed there was MUCH more interference when it was charging (none versus a lot). I really couldn't tell you why, but it also does it at work while charging. I think that has to do a lot with the HDD inside the Classics. I hooked up a co-worker's Nano and no noise.

As far as the GSM goes, you'd have to get something shielded. A couple of manufacturers make the little iPod-docking radios with GSM shielding, but I don't know what cars have it. Best idea is to keep the iPhone as far away from the audio console and speakers as possible. My RAZR will cause all sorts of hell if it's too close to the head unit, so it's not just iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.