Is there one application to convert/edit/compress/share starting from .vob?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jbahlman, Nov 12, 2007.

1. jbahlman macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I know questions like this are very common, but I have not been able to find an answer to this specific question so I've finally gotten up the nerve to just ask.

Background: I have a bunch of VHS tapes that are home movies (not copy protected). I have converted them to DVDs with a stand alone Panasonic DVD recorder. The DVDs I get from the Panasonic recorder are typical DVDs with the Video_TS folder that contains .vob files with all the video. What I need, is to be able to select certain portions of the video and edit them out into 5 - 10 minute clips, with the audio stripped out. I then need to compress it for optimal web viewing, probably on YouTube, but possibly also on my own web site. At some point I would also want to take some of these clips and edit the best ones together into a "pretty" DVD with titles etc. for viewing on standalone DVD players for regular TV. I have hours and hours of DVD footage to edit down into what will probably only end up being a couple hours of footage.

So I need an application that can (hopefully) let me select a specific portion of the .vob file to convert to some editable format. And also, hopefully I can edit it without converting it multiple times. And then I'd like to be able to convert it into a compressed-for-web format that is compatible with Windows and Mac.

I have seen solutions that require 1. ripping software, 2. conversion software and 3. editing software. What I was hoping is that there was a solution that combined all of these things into one. I don't mind paying for it if it can do all these things, but as you can see, I have very simple needs, and am not looking for a serious film-making tool.

Can anyone help me out here? Also, if one application does not exist, what are the best 2 application solutions? Before I got my Mac (2.2GHz MBP) I started the process on my PC and I used a combination of an application called Auto GK and an application called Virtual Dub that worked pretty well, but these don't work for Mac. I guess I just find this whole thing a bit confusing, and I'm looking for the simplest way possible to get this done.

Thank you for listening (if you've gotten this far) and I hope that someone will be able to help me out.

Jess

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

MPEGstreamclip will allow you to trim your clips down and compress them for the web. The program will also allow you to convert the files into DV which you could use to make a finer edit in iMovie.

3. jbahlman thread starter macrumors newbie

I just wanted to thank you for your suggestion. I had to buy the plug-in from Apple for Quicktime to get MPEG Streamclip to work, but I am 100% happy with the results. This does exactly what I need and it does it fast and with very few hiccups. Thank you!!