Is there ONE version of Mavericks? No MacBook version etc?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by patent10021, Jan 28, 2014.

1. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

I made a USB of mavericks and clean installed on many machines. With previous OSS sometimes there were different machines versions.

Can I install this same Mavericks on a MacBook Pro etc?

2. manual123 macrumors member

I hope my answer isnt too ignorant but "yes". Having being someone very keen on building hackintoshes up to mountain lion, there isnt a different os for different machine builds. The os installs kext that contains drivers for each occurance of hardware the OS was designed to work with. I do believe back in the 10.4 had a verison that only worked with intel and on vs PPC but I could be misstaken.

3. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Prior to Mac OS X Lion, all Macintoshes came with a grey restore disc that contained the specific version of Mac OS X that the computer came with... for example, an iMac that came with 10.6.4 preinstalled would also come with a DVD that had the installer for the special copy of 10.6.4, which would only be installable on that certain iMac model.

With Lion and onwards, the installer is re-downloaded off the recovery partition when needed, and is still specific to the computer, but the version of the Mac OS X installer that you download from the App Store is installable on any computer. 10.9.1, for example, is installable on any computer that supports 10.9; but 10.9.1, as it stands now, will NOT be installable on new computers released this year. New computers coming this year will come with the version of OS X that is the latest at the time of manufacturing. For example, let's say the Mini is released in late February. Either 10.9.1 or 10.9.2 will come preinstalled with the Mini, and the redownloadable version from the recovery partition will be specific to that Mini; if you want the full (aka; all computers-version) of the Mavericks installer, you'd have to "buy" it from the App Store (free) or re-download it if you have already "bought" it.

Long-winded, I know. tl;dr edition: there are certain versions of the OS X installer that's only designed for certain computers, but the actual install process is the same, it's just the drivers that are included are specific.

4. manual123 macrumors member

Koolaid-Drink is dead on although I believe the drivers are still the same as long as that machine existed prior to that disc release. for example. if i had a grey disc for a white macbook (2010), the 2008 imac kext would be there too but the installer would be looking for a certain machine code. bypass the installer and use can use any disc that has an os version that supports that machine. if the mac pro 3,1 came with 10.6.1 then thats the lowest you can go. I had used programs like pacifist to bypass the installer checking before.

5. Bear macrumors G3

Right now it won't work on the 2013 Mac Pro. And if it's a late 2103 Retina MacBook Pro, the answer is maybe. The generic 10.9.2 download will probably work on both.