Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FloridaMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
Destin, Fl
...in regards to the 15"? I'm looking at getting a MBP and I know I want bigger than the 13". It will basically be used for web browsing, iphoto, iTunes, and maybe creating some iMovies. What about the 17"? Is that worth it? Portablility is not a huge issue with me. Thanks.

ABadSanta

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2011
In terms of the 15", there isn't really a huge difference between the two.

If you're a big video editor or a big gamer, you might get the full use of the upgraded graphics card and the extra clock speed in the processor. Video rendering times will probably be decreased, and frames per second on computer games will probably be a bit higher.

For what it seems like you'll be doing though, I would go for the 2.0 ghz model. I think that will be more than enough power for you.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
there won't be a noticeable difference between a 2.0ghz processor and a 2.2ghz processor with the same number of cores.

tonyunreal

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2010
If you are comparing the stock models, keep in mind that 6750m graphics in much faster than a 6490m.

The 17-inch gives you a resolution boost even comparing to hi-res model of 15-inch, I was about to get the hi-res 15 model but the store only has anti-glare and I want glossy only, so I went with the 17-inch, the resolution is amazing.

ABadSanta

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2011
If you are comparing the stock models, keep in mind that 6750m graphics in much faster than a 6490m.

The 17-inch gives you a resolution boost even comparing to hi-res model of 15-inch, I was about to get the hi-res 15 model but the store only has anti-glare and I want glossy only, so I went with the 17-inch, the resolution is amazing.

This is true. The 6490m will play current games like Starcraft 2 on medium settings, and is about comparable, if not a bit lower, than the old 330m chip. It's not a bad card though, and will definitely handle most games smoothly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.