Is there really a need for a "laptop compartment" in bags?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ozreth, Oct 21, 2010.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Do you find this necessary?

Looking for a new messenger bag and it seems that most of the ones I like don't have a laptop compartment, but what purpose does this serve if Im putting my MBP in a sleeve anyways?

Thoughts?

2. amanda kathryn macrumors regular

if it's in a padded sleeve and otherwise secure, i personally see no reason for a specific compartment. i think companies have gone laptop compartment crazy lately. i needed a backpack for an impromptu weekend trip to NYC a few months ago, picked up a fairly basic jansport bookbag, and the padded laptop compartment is just taking up space i could have used for other things.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I find it necessary but that's probably because I don't use a sleeve. My laptop compartment in my backpack is essentially my sleeve. I used a sleeve and a regular bag for a while, I prefer the laptop compartment and no sleave. That's just personally preference though, I have no real good reason for it.

4. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I use a sleeve as well. My main travel bag is a backback. I do have a "computer" bag for local carrying. Having a slot dedicated to the laptop, for some, may be convenient for locating it if the bag is on the large side and with multiple compartments. It all comes down to your specific need and use.

5. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Depends how good your sleeve is ;)

I use both a laptop compartment and a sleeve for added protection. Though the sleeve I have is good enough for any non-compartment bag. It has a full 6mm of neoprene on the inside and ballistic nylon on the outside. But the compartment assures that the laptop isn't sliding from side to side inside the bag.

Overall, I think a compartment offers additional protection that serves you well. Sleeves don't offer much shock protection (hell even "soft" bags don't), they are more for scratch proof and the occasional quick spill.