Is there REALLY a need for SSD enclosures?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bent christian, Nov 11, 2015.

1. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

SSD, periodically inserted into a SATA to USB 3.0 dock for back-ups: Is this a suitable long-term solution?

Outside of the ease of connectivity, I am having a difficult time understanding why an SSD needs an enclosure always. Does it?? I am ignorant. Please educate me.

2. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

You mean why not put it inside the computer? Well, there's nothing bad with that, it's just that if you need to take it out (if your computer breaks), you'll have a lot of trouble. Equally, if someone steals the computer, they steal both SSDs with it.

3. Fuchal macrumors 68020

It doesn't, it just looks nicer. It's technically already in an enclosure.

4. bent christian thread starter Suspended

bent christian

An external dock. I have the single slot version of this:

[​IMG]

It takes 3.5" and 2.5" SATA drives. Connects to the Desktop by USB 3.0. I understand why using this with a 3.5" hard drive would be risky, but circuits on SSDs are pretty well covered up. Would there be grounding issues using an SSD semi-regularly in a dock like this? Something I am missing?

5. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

There's no problem in using an external dock/enclosure, ever, as long as the enclose itself is good (and this does seem like a quality product).

6. fa8362 macrumors 65816

7. bent christian thread starter Suspended

bent christian

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't see that using a dock like that is an issue at all, but you mentioned "periodically inserted"... so are you constantly plugging and unplugging the SSD into the dock bay each time you use it? If you are, I think that might be a concern. I don't know that the connector on the SSD is really designed to be plugged and unplugged all the time like that and I would be worried it would get damaged. But if you are plugging it in the bay and leaving it, I don't see an issue.

9. bent christian thread starter Suspended

bent christian

Plugging in for periodic back-ups. Every month? Every two months? Quarterly? Not sure yet. I have limited space, as my wife and I share a desk she needs to use to work from home. The dock would be pulled out occasionally. The Thermaltake dock has a locking mechanism and a button to release the drive. It seems solid.

10. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Yeah, no, that wouldn't hurt at all. Plugging it in occasionally is perfectly fine.

11. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Put it in a ziplock bag when not in use.

12. c8rlo macrumors 6502

c8rlo

for me, enclosures provide protection and i can just throw it in my backpack/messenger bag when i'm traveling or on-the-go and easy connectivity via USB cable(which most come with) instead of an SATA data adapter. plus they're cheap, i use these as they have USB 3.0 and come in different colors...

s-l1600.jpg

13. bent christian thread starter Suspended

bent christian

I was thinking about buying one of these:

[​IMG]
    I need some some 3.5" drives anyway.

14. bent christian thread starter Suspended

bent christian

If they were leaving the house, I would. I have the dock already that I use for 3.5" spinners. This/these will be back-up drives. No need to buy another thing!