...is there really no Fraps equivalent for displaying FPS?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by NMF, Dec 21, 2011.

1. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

On Windows I use Fraps to display my current frame-per-second in the games that I play. I have a few native Mac games now, and I'm trying to find a similar program for OSX.

I don't want to use in-game console commands. Some games don't have those (for example, playing Skyrim with the Cider wrapper).

There has to be a program like Fraps that just displays the FPS number... I don't want to fiddle with Apple dev tools or whatever and have a bunch of other nonsense on the screen. I just want to know the FPS.

Thanks...

2. edddeduck macrumors 68020

edddeduck

Nothing like FRAPS exists on the Mac. There are ways but as you noted they all use in game features or the developer tools.

Edwin

3. DoghouseMike macrumors regular

atmonitor will do a bunch of stuff, including FPS.
    Some fullscreen games will block the atmonitor window, others won't, so it's a bit hit n miss, but'll do what you want. I tend to have it going with the fps and temp monitors on.

http://tinyurl.com/nghc2v

4. malman89 macrumors 68000

Many games have their own command for listing the FPS information within the game. Sometimes not listed under the options/controls screen. I would search around your game's forum or online for a command, there probably is one.

5. edddeduck macrumors 68020

edddeduck

Yeah the fps counter is a little off at times I have had it be off the real frame rate by over 100% in some cases! I also have not managed to get the GPU load or temperatures working on my MacPro and MacBookPro.

Edwin