Home Is there really no motion sensors for HomeKit?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by yalag, Jun 12, 2016.

1. yalag macrumors 65816

I find it hard to believe that after so many years of HomeKit, we still dont have a single motion sensor? I just want to do the simple walk into a room triggering the lights to turn on. How do I do this with homekit?

I'm thinking as a last resort I would buy the smartthings system and then install a hack to make it work with homekit...

2. LiveM, Jun 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016

LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

Yes - Belkin has them.

Edit - never mind. Belkin isn't doing Homekit because they can't make it work with any existing products.

3. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

Yea there are literally no motion sensors for homekit, why?

4. danwestbrook macrumors regular

danwestbrook

Maybe see if Homebridge can work with the Belkin sensors, Im currently using it my wemo switches.. works very well.

5. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

How does the wemo switches work? Wemo has a motion sensor?

6. danwestbrook macrumors regular

danwestbrook

https://www.npmjs.com/package/homebridge-platform-wemo
    Check this out it adds none homekit enabled devices to homekit. Im sure once you have it all setup you can use the triggers etc in the Home app on iOS.

7. myname70 macrumors 6502a

Elgato just released their Eve motion sensor.

8. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

9. sirgromit macrumors member

The Philips Hue motion sensor is not HomeKit compatible and it's not clear if HomeKit functionality can be added to it in the future.

10. wargamer6 macrumors member

The new sensor iHome released is. I got it yesterday and like it so far.

11. justinwc80 macrumors newbie

justinwc80

I can say that if you have hue their motion sensor has zero lag which is great. But it can't trigger anything outside the hue system from what I can tell

12. mariusignorello macrumors 6502a

Is there a way to use ones from an alarm system? I have a Honeywell Vista that is set up with Homebridge but its not showing the motion sensor.

13. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I wonder if this will work, however, to fake HomeKit compatibility - have the Hue motion sensor turn on a light. Set a HomeKit automation to do someone when that light turns on.

Sounds like it would but I haven't tried it yet. I ordered two Hue motion sensors but haven't had a chance to put them up so I'll give it a try later this weekend. One is going to be for a closet (door opens, light comes on and, hopefully, motion stops and light goes out).