Is there room the rest your palms on the rMB?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by east85, Feb 13, 2016.

1. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

This computer seems quite small. Do you find yourself resting your palms on the actual MacBook when you're typing or are they kind of half off the computer or completely on the desk?

2. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

If I remember correctly your not suppose to rest your palms whilst typing as this is leads to repetitive strain injury

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Hmmm.
    How can you type if your palms are touching the surface?
    I do occasionally touch my wrist down, but that's just to maintain hand position.
    Generally, my wrists don't touch down while I am typing. Maybe that's a characteristic of touch typing?

I think the size would be a factor if the keyboard (spacing between the keys) does not work for you.
    I don't find the rMB keyboard to be a problem, as I adjusted to the different feel within a few days. Touch typing is OK, not that much different for me compared to most other laptops (other than those creepy cheap netbooks from a few years ago. Glad that those days are past! )

4. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

I've been doing it for just shy of 20 years with no ill effect though I learned the same thing. Probably should have expected this to not be a norm though when I posted. My palms always rest on each side of the trackpad unless I need to hit something on the top row.

Thanks for the input. Honestly idk maybe my fingers are just freakishly long haha. I can reach every key with ease while resting my palms apart from the function keys. I'm glad those days are in the past as well, Apple definitely pushed the competition to leave the junk netbook behind with the air. I'll just have to drop by the Apple Store and see if the rMB is alright for my atypical typing habits.

5. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I don't even use the "Palm Rests" on my large 15" MBPr, much less those on my new 12" MacBook. Using a computer as much as I do, and typing quite rapidly, I can't imagine lowering my palms down that far. However after decades of really heavy usage day after day I've never encountered any repetitive stress issues. It's like practicing good posture, the benefit is I'm injury free. Proper ergonomics pay off... :D

6. tomjleeds macrumors 6502

I wonder if we're getting lost in terminology here...surely your palms can't be flat against the surface, that would restrict movement too much?

Anyway, I rest my (fairly large) hands on the computer, and there's plenty of room.

7. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Agree - there is plenty of room. (I wear large/XL gloves)

8. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

Probably lost in the terminology. I mainly rest my wrists and lower palm, not completely flat or anything.

9. jfriedman8 macrumors 6502

I never thought it was uncomfortable to use for extended periods of time, or whether it was on my lap or desk.

10. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

There's no rule on 10 or 20 years to have repetitive strain injury it's just bad practice to bend your wrists whilst typing the one I notice at work on a desktop with no trackpad is the tendency to use a scroll wheel instead of page up and down when scrolling through many large docs, the index finger takes a hammering on this action and I try to avoid it now.

11. tonedrums macrumors member

tonedrums

I don't typically 'rest" my palms on the palm rests. When typing specifically I have my hands raised up. I tried typing with my hands flat on the palm rest and it felt super uncomfortable. If you're asking if there is enough room for one to rest their palms, yes their is . . unless you have huge bear claw hands. . .