Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vegeta-san

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2006
I've been toying with everything! And I cannot get my Divx TV shows to show up under the TV Shows slot in Front Row? Categorizing everything else is childs play...What am I doing wrong!?!?

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I've been toying with everything! And I cannot get my Divx TV shows to show up under the TV Shows slot in Front Row? Categorizing everything else is childs play...What am I doing wrong!?!?

Can you add them to iTunes and set it from there (Get Info>Video> set to 'TV Show')?

Vegeta-san

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2006
When I attempt to add them to iTunes by dragging the shows straight into iTunes, it will not let me. I think this is because it is a Divx file and not iTunes doesnt accept video files not compatible to be viewed on an iPod maybe?

Nar1117

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2006
When I attempt to add them to iTunes by dragging the shows straight into iTunes, it will not let me. I think this is because it is a Divx file and not iTunes doesnt accept video files not compatible to be viewed on an iPod maybe?

Almost Correct, iTunes does not play DivX Video Files, and as a result neither does the iPod. If you can convert the files, then there is hope. If you have QT Pro, you can import QT Playable DiVX files into iTunes.

d wade

macrumors 65816
Jun 27, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
let me dumb this down a little for our O.P.

download iSquint

drag movie file(s) to iSquint. make sure you check 'add file to itunes'

go to iTunes, find the movie file.

right click > get info > video tab > drop down menu will say 'movie' just click the menu and change it

simple. done.

/thread

Vegeta-san

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2006
let me dumb this down a little for our O.P.

download iSquint

drag movie file(s) to iSquint. make sure you check 'add file to itunes'

go to iTunes, find the movie file.

right click > get info > video tab > drop down menu will say 'movie' just click the menu and change it

simple. done.

/thread
Hmm...Does this maintain the visual integrity of my TV shows? As I download DVD-Rips of TV shows, can iSquint maintain visual integrity of my shows and still stay at the 350MB original file limit..

Dude, and you really need to calm down with the whole "Simple. Done. /thread" junk. I come her to ask questions. If you honestly don't want to answer them because they are so damn above you, deal with it and click on to the next thread.

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
Unfortunately the TV Shows section is, I believe, read directly from the iTunes database file. This means that files must first be parsed through iTunes in order for Front Row to read them as a category of "TV Shows." There is an alternative, however. Unlike "TV Shows," the Movies section does use a folder on the hard drive (as well as the iTunes db).

To put this simply, if you go to ~/Movies and create an alias to the TV Shows folder that is located under the folder you specified as your iTunes Library, you'd be able to use those DivX avis. Just drop them in your "TV Shows" folder and then you'd be all set.

The only difference here is that you'd do Videos -> Movies -> TV Shows instead of Videos -> TV Shows.

In this way you'd not lose any video quality as a part of transcoding, and you'd still have a central repository of TV Shows in one folder. This is how I get around the whole ordeal.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Open your file in QuickTime Player, then Save As it out to a .mov container. You will then be able to import into iTunes, and will not lose any quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.