Is there solution to appleID/icloudID yet?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yalag, Aug 22, 2011.

1. yalag macrumors 65816

A while ago when I tried iOS5 beta1, I came across the problem of sharing appleID (me and my wife for example) and the community was just as confused as I was. Is there a better solution now?

To be more specific, basically a lot of people share appleID for multiple devices within the family to take advantage of the fact that you can share apps without repurchasing. However, starting iOS5 you will need a separate appleID for each device otherwise iCloud will think that all those devices belong to the same person and start syncing down iMessage conversations, cal events etc which doesn't make any sense if you are not the same person.

Any additional info now in beta6?

2. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

This was mostly resolved when Home Sharing was put into iTunes. This allows you to have separate IDs but still share said apps, movies, etc with others (up to 5) in the same Share as you.

Using the same ID across multiple people hasn't been needed since.

3. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Not really, I'm still wondering this exact same thing.

4. troop231 macrumors 603

It won't be officially solved until Apple adds some merge Apple ID features into their WebObjects structure.

5. Grahamwho macrumors member

I don't think this is a problem.

I've been using ios 5 since beta 1. While I do kinda wish there was a way to merge apple id's since I have one account that I started with years ago that I have all my music and apps on and then I have another account that I got a couple of years ago for mobileme, this is not really a problem, in this situation anyways.

Ios 5 can use multiple apple id's for different things, for instance in my case I have my original oldest apple id (with all the purchases on it) logged into the apple store on my phone. Then I have my mobileme acct, which i converted to icloud, logged into icloud.

The way you and your wife would do this is. You each signup for your own icloud acct. That way all your messages, photostream, emails, etc, are your own and and unique to you. Then, you both sign in to the applestore with your original apple id so all your purchases and music are essentially shared.

In settings in ios5 there is a icloud tab, and a store tab that each have there own signin and can use different id's. You also have a login for homesharing and facetime. For homesharing I would use the orig. apple id the same one your computer is logged into with purchases. For facetime I would use your icloud id so, you could independently facetime each other. Make sense?

Sorry it's so long but I hope i answered all of your questions. If not let me know.

6. obamtl macrumors regular

you do not have to use your Apple ID for iCloud. I have a separate iCloud ID

7. troop231 macrumors 603

Yes, but lots of users are wanting to know how they can merge them, that way they don't have to fool around with different ID's for app purchases/etc.

8. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i feel as though Apple should make a "family" apple ID. you can use multiple ID's under one account. so when i buy a song or an app my sister or dad can too for no charge. then when the kids grow up and leave the house or whatever they can separate the ID from the family account to its own but all the purchases go with it. we are starting to get to this point in my family. i have got my own apple ID under MobileMe and now i am losing some of my apps etc. its kind of frustrating but we deal. i have been hoping every year apple does this and have sent feedback.