Is there some type of Macbook for dummies manual?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tpcollins, Sep 19, 2012.

1. tpcollins macrumors member

Bought my first Macbook Pro yesterday and I feel like a virgin on prom night. The included startup manual and small user guide barely gets me started. I did migrate everything on my PC onto my Macbook but even on the Apple site I can't find a detailed guide as to how to use/find everything that's available.

Last night I was able to play a DVD but it took me 20 minutes to figure out how to eject the dang thing! Any help in the right direction would be appreciated, thanks.

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

On phone so can't link, but look on Amazon for any of the Missing Manual books. Assuming you have Mountain Lion as your OS and not Lion.

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Go to a large Barnes and Noble or Books a Million store. In the computer section there will be several Dummies books on MacBooks. They may not be updated for the 2012 version yet. There are also Dummies books on Mountain Lion. If you signed up for One to One service....book some courses at the local Apple store.

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

It can be a little confusing initially, while a lot of the stuff is in similar or logical locations, many things can be hard to find. I'd suggest the David Pouge books, he does a lot of intro to mac type publications and is easy to read and understand. I would generally avoid the "for dummies" books, and also wonder why people keep comparing a purchase of a mac to a sexual experience.

5. jrs22 macrumors 6502

I made the switch from PC to MBP in July because of the hardware, not the software. So after 30 years with Dos and Windows never using a manual I was really surprised at how little information came with the computer. There were lots of pretty pictures, but no link to support on the apple site. After spending a lot of time searching for answers I bought the Missing Manual for OSX Mountain Lion and so far it's contained answers to all my questions. It's well organized and also answers questions I didn't think to ask but that are good to know.

I bought the kindle version to use on my iPad so I can use the search function, but the table of contents is extensive.

6. zipur macrumors 6502

7. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

The best way to learn it is just going to be to experience it of course, I personally watched video tutorials of a lot of stuff when I first started using OS X. It's very similar, you will get the hang of it quickly. Search YouTube if you are having problems with something specific.

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

The analogy's not that difficult.

One word answer: inexperience.