Is there some way to use Mail to archive my messages?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by riker1384, Jan 26, 2009.

1. riker1384 macrumors regular

Is there some way I can use the Mail application to save all my messages into some sort of archive, or save all of them as files in a folder in a convenient way? I don't see a way to do anything other than save each message individually. That would be tedious because I have over 200 messages.

2. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Does Mail -> MailBox -> Archive Mailbox

do what you need to??

3. riker1384 thread starter macrumors regular

You're talking about the pulldown menus? I don't see that option.

FWIW, I'm using OSX 10.4 on this system, with mail 2.1.3

4. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

The easiest way to archive messages would be to create a new folder in Mail called "Archive" stored "On My Mac". Drag any messages you would like to archive to this folder.

5. clonenode macrumors regular

This Archive Mailbox option was added to Leopard - 10.5. You'd need to upgrade to get the newer Mail app.

6. riker1384 thread starter macrumors regular

I do have a Leopard disk. Can I upgrade without losing the data, and then archive it?

I want to archive the messages in a way that allows me to copy them onto another hard drive, and read them on other systems. I got a computer from someone else, and I need to archive their mail before I wipe everything and put my stuff on the computer. I already made a backup of the entire hard drive, but I also want to have the email easily accessible without having to, say restore the entire hard-drive backup onto a system.

Are the email messages normally stored in a folder or something where I could easily find them, or are they stored in a way that only allows them to be opened by the Mail application?

7. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Another option would be to transfer the messages to an IMAP account. The messages would be stored on the server, so they would sync across different computers. Gmail offers free IMAP access.