is there some wrong with iwork'09?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iLoveMacPro, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iLoveMacPro macrumors member

Hi everyone,
    I heard there is a trojan in iwork'09 if it is downloaded on the internet. However, i have a copy of iwork'09 app that a friend copy it for me from his portable hard drive. I am not sure if his iwork'09 is download from the internet or the real one. I am just worry of trojan. Can some1 tell me if that is it safe to use the iwork'09 or i shouldnt use it at all?????

2. reubs macrumors 68000

Unless your friend is actually your brother and you live in the same house and this is a family license he's sharing with you, you won't get much help around these parts.

A legit copy of iWork can be found at online retailers for relatively cheap. That's your best option to avoid any problems at all.

3. 76ShovelHead macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

If you too paranoid, use AVG Anti-Virus to scan it. Whats the chance of a Mac getting a virus? I love my mac because i use both Mac and PC and mac is the least worry-some of them all. Plus if you got the iWork from a friend then don't worry unless you think he's out to get you.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Bad advice. First, you’re assuming the friend is computer savvy enough to know if there’s a trojan in the iWork download he got. Second, you’re trying to help someone use illegitimate software, which is not a good thing. Last, you’re confusing viruses (of which there are none for the Mac) with trojans (of which there are a few, most notably the one contained in certain, you guessed it, iWork ’09 illegal downloads).

jW

5. snberk103 macrumors 603

Considering how cheap a legitimate copy of iWork is, why are you even taking this chance? Yes - there are some trojans that are part of some of the internet versions of iWork. (They are also present in some versions of Adobe Photoshop.) How much do you trust your friend? How much do trust that he has not infected himself? How much do you know about where your friend got his copy of iWork?

Balance all that with the damage that could happen if this copy has the trojan, plus all the time you will need to disinfect your system.

Cheers

6. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

You can buy iWork on Amazon for like $39. Maybe buy it instead of stealing it and you can be assured of a copy w/o malware. Easy as pie.

7. 76ShovelHead macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

Well, my point is that, if a friend gave him a copy of his iWork 09', then wouldn't he be using it himself to know that the software is infected or not. Second i was stating that Viruses or any type of malware is rare in a mac's world. No, Macs aren't invincible to Viruses, Esp. how Mac hardware is no different than a crappy PC's i.e. they use intel now, not PowerPC which was a Unique architecture. I don't mean that Mac's can get viruses from windows, however few viruses have been written for the Mac OS. Lastly, what he or his friend does with their software is none of anyone's business. Its no longer 1950, couples sleep together now. How is apple going know? I don't mean to offend but i hate when people stick their noses in businesses of others "Thats Illegal!" or "Against Apples EUAL" no one cares, really. Im not trying to condone anything - however if i bought a software its mine to do as i please. Rules apply to everyone else in the world. What People do with their property is their business.

By viruses, i mean all types malware, i don't care to be "technical" so to speak. Now matter what form the infection is it still exists for the Mac.

8. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

In other words, you're a troll that was simply trying to get a rise out of people by coming in here and shouting virus. Perhaps a bit more clever than your average troll, making this seem like an innocent question, but a troll (and one who openly and blatantly violates patent and copyright laws and posts about it on a public forum which expressly forbids such discussions).

Go back under whatever bridge you crawled out from.

jW

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Buy a retail version, from a reputable store. Jeez. :rolleyes:

10. Mac In School macrumors 65816

It's half the price of MS Office. Show Apple that you appreciate that at least their software is low-priced, and pony up the cash for it.

Or use NeoOffice or OpenOffice for free.

11. snberk103 macrumors 603

You are actually technically & factually wrong on most of your points. But this has been gone over so many times before.... and again and again....

1) The friend may not know he is infected. It's not like most trojans announce their presence - think about that logic.
    2) Viruses and Trojans are very different, though as you recognize they are both malware. However, stating that you don't want to get "technical" about them is the same thing as saying "small-pox" when you are talking about a broken leg - they both make you sick - but they aren't really the same.
    3) Bingo!! You are correct that Macs are not invincible to viruses. It's just that none have been written/released for them since they have gone to OS X. Interestingly enough, there were supposedly viruses for OS 9 (so I have read) so your statement that PowerPC was virus free is not actually quite right.
    4) No, the software is not your property.... As a creator of intellectual property myself, I understand the difference between "buying" and "licensing". But I really don't think anything I can say to you will make any difference to your thinking.... I hope one day you start creating IP for a living, and then you will understand perhaps.

So, perhaps I am sticking my nose into your business (sorry about that! eh?) but you did open the door when you posted....

12. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

If you live in the same house as your friend, you can get Mac Box Set Family Pack very cheap.

3rd party sellers sell them very cheaply on Amazon.com for about $115 new. For that money you get FIVE licences of Snow Leopard, FIVE licences of iLife 09, FIVE licences of iWork 09.

How can you refuse?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.