is there something out there like explorer for OSX?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thedommer, Mar 18, 2008.

1. thedommer macrumors regular

You may be like "WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU????"

I may not know how to use finder properly but I think its just that although it is fantastic and easier to use then explorer there are certain situations where I wish I could use explorer. this is usually when Im dealing with creating a rediculous folder structure in a zip that has similar folder names 2 or 3 folder deep. its just quicker to change part of the long folder list(type it in) then go all the way back to the beginning (like in finder) and then click my way through to the next folder.

anyone know of an addon or program that does this?

2. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I understand what you are saying, you want to be able to navigate the folders by typing in the path. Just use the Go->Go To Folder and have at it. If you start with a / it will start from the root directory on your boot device.

TEG

5. thedommer thread starter macrumors regular

thanks alot. Ill check these out!

I want to make it clear im not dising finder. its a great program. I dont think its perfect and I dont think it is advanced as explorer HOWEVER in most cases id take it over explorer because it is cleaner and easier to use.

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Also this should help your navigation in the Finder. Open the Finder and go to "View" in the menu bar and select "Show Path Bar". Now look at the bottom of the Finder window and you can navigate through folders easily and drag and drop.

7. thedommer thread starter macrumors regular

thats very close to what I want! all I need now is to be able to change a folder right in the middle. like explorer can do.

the reason for this is that I work on a giant client site that unfortunately isnt content management yet and all our pages are seperated by province but are the same pages. So if I can change the province name in the middle then the rest of the structure is the same and I can switch very quickly from one to the other.

believe it or not this saves a huge amount of time.

the other thing that explorer does that I cant figure out how to do in finder is if I have a zip of a whole bunch of files in a very deep list of folders I can simply drag it into the proper location and explorer will put those files in their proper location and overwrite if needed. finder on the other hand erases all similar folders and all their files and then puts just that one file in it. found that out the hard way. :(

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Hmm, hopefully someone will have an answer for you because (and don't take this too personally) I totally don't understand what you are trying to do, you mentioned something about a zip file....I don't even get it. Like I said maybe it's just me because I don't get it.

On a side note you will undoubtedly make an abundance of costly mistakes if you keep your thinking in the Windows centric way and try making the Macintosh work like that.
    This is a great place to come for help but if you are going to do work on the Macintosh you need to learn the Finder, it's a very easy File browser to understand but if you need to do specific things don't take the liberty and try to do what you did in Windows because you may cost yourself some extra headaches.