is there something terribly wrong with my battery?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by vh1, Feb 6, 2008.

1. vh1 macrumors newbie

I noticed that I would put my ipod touch to sleep before going to bed and waking up to it being dead, which is strange, why would it waste energy when being asleep

so I let it die completely and did a restore to 1.1.3, letting it fully charge then disconnected it and played music. music played for over 23 hours which is better than the advertised time. so there didn't seem to be anything wrong with my battery

but yesterday my boss was playing around with it and after about 20 minutes of browsing the web the battery was at about 55% (this is from a full charge, brightness at less then half and auto-brightness was on). then last night, after not using it, I took it out and it still had about a 50% charge left. I went to one site and I got the alert that I was at 10% battery

what in the hell

and today at the start of lunch it was near a full charge, then after walking down a hill, about 15 minutes, it had probably 20% gone

is the battery meter just really messed up or is it the battery? what can even be done about this?

2. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

is it always searching for wifi?

take it to apple store and have them look at it.

3. sgtboy macrumors 6502

Vh1, Let it die completely, even if it says 10% after 20 min of use keep using it until it wont turn on again, if it stays at 10% for 5 hours then its just the indicator. Ive noticed my indicator is inaccurate at times too

4. BassistKing1 macrumors member

make sure u turn wifi off when ur not using it, cuz that drains the battery alot.

5. vh1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am so sick of seeing people constantly say "make sure you turn off wifi".

I've had this ipod since october, it started as 1.1.1. I would rave about how good the battery is. I know how the battery should be. today I reset all media and settings and did another restore of 1.1.3. since I was at work I couldn't put music on it so the only use it had was wifi for 15 minutes and it lost half it's battery. and then you could literally watch the battery meter go down from 50% to the 20% warning to the 10% warning in 5 minutes while waiting for a page to load

at that point I turned off wifi, but still a half hour later when I took it out of my pocket it had died completely

so, 23 hours of music or about 40 minutes of wifi. what the hell

there's no apple store in my province, will I have to send it away?