Is there something wrong with my 13" late 2013 MBPr battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hieveryone, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

Hi, I have a 13" late 2013 MBPr 2.6/8/256

The battery is supposed to last for 9 hours. I will post a picture of what I got today.

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Apple never says "the battery is supposed to last x hours"
    They DO state "UP TO 9 hours", and also "Battery life varies by use and configuration."
    If you want to try for more battery life, then limit the apps that you are using. Turn off wireless cards - bluetooth and wifi.
    Turn your display brightness down, leaving it bright enough so you can still use it. You may find that just those few items will prolong your battery another couple of hours (maybe :D )
    Other info about battery use here: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204054

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The 9hrs is not static, and is akin to fuel mileage numbers on cars.

It depends on what you are doing with your computer, as to how long the battery may last. There are a lot of factors involved.

I would not be concerned. Enjoy your computer and try not to analyze every single thing that is going on.

4. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

As others have said, it depends what you were doing.

General web browsing (no flash), with the brightness to medium shouldn't tax the computer.

A better thing to do is look at the health of the battery.

Get yourself an app like coconut battery. As long as your battery is at 80% or more of its design capacity, I wouldn't worry at all.

5. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Whether you get 9 hrs (some users get more) depends on your use, and your configuration.
    You will get improved battery life if you use the various tips that are offered here.

7. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Very unlikely. It looks like you're getting close to 8. I think there's nothing wrong at all with your computer.

No laptop gives the stated battery life except under ideal conditions (basically the computer is doing virtually nothing). It's why Apple says "up to 9 hours"

8. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

So I guess nobody on here has there laptop configured to get 9.

If there is anyone getting 9 let me know what your configuration is.

I'm at 5% and 8.5 hours use but that includes standby I'm pretty sure.

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Which of the following is more important to you?

1) Your Mac (and programs) working as it should

2) Worrying about trying to achieve 9hrs of battery use every single time, which will probably be at the expense of you using the Mac in an enjoyable manner.

10. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

Definitely 1. If the battery runs out I just plug it in. Simple.

But I was JW. I refuse to turn of Bluetooth and use no mouse, make my screen dim, not watch YouTube videos.

Plugging the thing in takes 1 second.

11. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Hmmmm..

Ummm.. No.. :confused:

Perhaps if you 'turn it on, dim the screen, and do nothing except look at the clock run' _ and even then, just perhaps..

:D

12. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

So I guess 9 hours is a lie because if you use it it's 8 hours.

13. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

You need to learn what a lie is.

From Apple's website: Up to 9 hours wireless web
    Up to 9 hours iTunes movie playback
    Up to 30 days standby time
    Built-in 71.8-watt-hour lithium-polymer
    battery
    60W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter with cable management system; MagSafe 2 power port

That "up to" part is based on many factors as has been pointed out to you several times. Some people may get 9 hrs on rare occasions. Just because you may not doesn't mean Apple has lied to you.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not a lie.

First, as already stated, Apple says "up to 9 hours". They never claim any user will get 9 hours, as battery life is dependent on what you do with your computer.

Second, the battery time remaining is a constantly changing estimate, based on the minute-to-minute power demands of your system, and is not accurate, since you won't maintain the same demands until the battery drains. The only true measurement would be running under your normal workload until the battery drains.

There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

15. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

It's a legal loophole period. Can't believe you cant see that. Just because 1 computer in Apples headquarters with brightness at 0 ran 9 hours doesn't mean its acceptable to say it runs "up to" 9 hours.

If 100% of users never experience 9 hours, it's a lie. What they should be saying is up to 9 hours BUT most users experience approximately 8. Then in parenthesis put (light web browsing, brightness on medium, etc)

----------

Please see above explanation.

16. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If you are unhappy with the performance of your Mac, go to the Genius Bar to have it looked at or sell it.

You are getting ridiculous with your retorts. I have said all I need to on the matter. If you want to keep ranting and raving, go ahead.

17. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

You've got to be kidding me. I love my Macbook Pro Retina. In fact, I say that in almost all of my posts how awesome this machine is. I would never switch back to PC. And same here I'm done.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple gives clear explanation of what conditions are used to achieve 9 hours of battery life. You have no idea what 100% of users experience. It sounds like you just want to blame Apple because your particular use doesn't result in 9 hours of battery life, when that's not Apple's fault. You should remember that years ago, up to 4 hours battery life was considered great. Rather than be bent out of shape because you don't get 9 hours, you should be happy you're getting as much as you are.

I can see in the future Apple could claim up to 72 hours of battery life and there will always be those few who get twisted because they only get 71.5 hours. :rolleyes:

19. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

First of all, what are those conditions you claim Apple has stated? Where are they if they truly exist?

Second of all, when I asked if anyone has gotten 9 hours, not a single person on this forum claimed to have gotten it. Not one.

Third of all, complainers will complain. Let them. But I'm not complaining at all. I'm just saying Apple shouldn't claim 9 hours if you can't get it with general use. They should say up to 9 hours BUT under NORMAL use expect 8.

Fourth, they're a business. So, I DO understand the legal loophole they use with saying up to 9 hours and honestly, that's just how business is. I mean Samsung claims 16GB storage but only gives you 7 because 9 is OS. That's just garbage.

20. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I get 9 hours

I have seen more than 9 hours on my rMBP with light use, so it is possible. In fact if just outputting music to bluetooth speakers through itunes I get about 20 hours. If you have a dozen things open, bluetooth on, wifi, flash, youtube, screen brightness high blah blah blah then you won't get 9 hours simple as that.

As to under what conditions they got these numbers they are stated clearly on the apple website, and I quote

"Testing conducted by Apple in July 2014 using preproduction 2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7–based 15-inch MacBook Pro units, preproduction 2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7–based 15-inch MacBook Pro units, and preproduction 2.8GHz dual-core Intel Core i5–based 13-inch MacBook Pro units. The wireless web test measures battery life by wirelessly browsing 25 popular websites with display brightness set to 12 clicks from bottom or 75%. The HD movie playback test measures battery life by playing back HD 720p content with display brightness set to 12 clicks from bottom or 75%. The standby test measures battery life by allowing a system, connected to a wireless network and signed in to an iCloud account, to enter standby mode with Safari and Mail applications launched and all system settings left at default. Battery life varies by use and configuration. See www.apple.com/batteries for more information."

can't get any clearer than that...

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

From MacBook Pro Specifications:
    There have been six posters contributing to this thread, besides yourself, and one of those claimed to have gotten more than 9 hours. That isn't even a decent sample size, not to mention it's nowhere near 100% of users.
    As Apple states repeatedly on their site:
    No, it's not garbage. It's clear you don't understand how storage is measured and how it is used. If you would take the time to read specifications and the explanations that manufacturers offer to the public, you would be better informed and wouldn't have unrealistic expectations.
    As Apple states on their own site:

22. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

I get over 9 hours some days.

The battery specs and testing conditions are clearly spelled out. It does not involve "setting brightness to zero" or anything like that. They tested the machines with a general use pattern until the battery ran flat in a perfectly usable condition. It's not an artificial benchmark nor a "legal loophole".

23. Archer1440 macrumors 6502

Archer1440

Promises, promises.

(I have exceeded 9 hours on my 13" rMBP twice now on transpacific flights)

24. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

I'm getting solid 9 hrs of battery life just about every other day. Doing light coding, browsing (no youtube, no streaming of any kind), screen brightness set to 6, no sound. My battery has 54 cycles on it, almost brand new Late 2013 base model rMBP. Your eight hours are 100% normal, try setting the display to full brightness and playing a hardware demanding game - your battery's gonna run out in two hours.

25. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

I think likely far too many people are taking years off their lives worrying about 'wee things' in a complex tech world ~ 'Up To Nine Hours' means just about exactly that ~ Methinks it would be simpler and healthier to:

Buy it _ Use it _ Like it _ Keep it _ SMILE :D

Buy it _ Use it _ Do Not Like it _ Sell it _ Buy something else _ Repeat UNTIL you SMILE

- - - -

Good Luck on The Quest
    :cool: