Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DtoneH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
after using a PC for 12+ years i finally tried a macbook out (just the base) loved it so i decided to switch over and get rid of my tower and use my external dell 2407 with the laptop

well before i did so i transferred all my files to my external seagate drive from windows (the external HD is formatted in NFTS)

now when i plug it in via usb to the laptop and turn the external HD on it does not notice it anywhere on the macbook (tried disk utility also)

if i enter a flash drive into the same usb port it notices it so i know the port isnt shot

any ideas? i really need my work documents from the external hd

Last edited by a moderator:

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
after using a PC for 12+ years i finally tried a macbook out (just the base) loved it so i decided to switch over and get rid of my tower and use my external dell 2407 with the laptop

well before i did so i transferred all my files to my external seagate drive from windows (the external HD is formatted in NFTS)

now when i plug it in via usb to the laptop and turn the external HD on it does not notice it anywhere on the macbook (tried disk utility also)

if i enter a flash drive into the same usb port it notices it so i know the port isnt shot

any ideas? i really need my work documents from the external hd

Did you check the jumper settings on the external drive before you put it in your external enclosure? Are you sure that the enclosure actually works?

Do you have another computer that you can try the same HD and enclosure with?

(And yes, current OSX versions support NTFS read but not write.)

DtoneH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
Did you check the jumper settings on the external drive before you put it in your external enclosure? Are you sure that the enclosure actually works?

Do you have another computer that you can try the same HD and enclosure with?

(And yes, current OSX versions support NTFS read but not write.)

yes, the windows computer next to me reads it perfectly which is how i transferred files etc to it

DtoneH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
i have an idea

i will transfer all my files to the DT on windows (other comp)

so the external will be blank. how do i format the external HD from windows so itll work on my mac?

DtoneH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
i have an idea

i will transfer all my files to the DT on windows (other comp)

so the external will be blank. how do i format the external HD from windows so itll work on my mac?

theres no way to format to Fat32 from windows? cause this drive is not readable on the mac, ive tried everything?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
dtoneh, use disk utility and erase the drive, then format the drive, making sure that u choose master boot record(in the options section under the "partition" tab). this will then allow you to format the drive as fat32(or similar) then both mac and pc can red/write to the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.