Is there something wrong with my screen? or am I being paranoid

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sossity, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

Apologies for the double post, but my previous one failed to get the images in, so I will try again

I have had a late 2013 retina macbook pro since Oct of last year, bought it off a seller with good rep from ebay, with apple warranty until Nov 2014.

Recently, I have seen this very faint sort of vertical dark blotch or streak on my screen, it is sort of to my lower right about 2 inches long. I see it while there is just white or mostly white on my screen and I look at it from a side angle, not as much head on.

I may be just imagining it, since it has taken me this long to see anything, the last day or two, I would look, and it seems ok, other times it seemed something was there.

Am not sure quite what to do, I will keep an eye on it if it gets worse, maybe I just need to clean the screen, but am not sure how to do that safely.

Is there any kind of test or tests I can run to check the integrity of the screen?

I googled this, and there is some mentioning of LG vs Samsung screens, don't how to check this on mine.

If the image attached ok to my post, I circled the very faint vertical streak.

Attached Files:

2. Alakagom macrumors member

There is piece of software that should be helpful to you, by PassMark. Never used it myself, but they are reliable and produced likes of BurnInTest and MemTest so it should do some good maybe.

Here's the link: http://www.passmark.com/products/monitortest.htm

About the screen, I don't see much in it myself :) But always worth testing!

About cleaning it, best way is to get microfibre cloth, dampen it with water. Don't soak it, just enough to be moist and clean it. Just with water, nothing fancy or anything. Does the job.

3. Android300zx macrumors regular

You are most likely seeing what you are seeing. I purchased a MB Air 2011 model for my girlfriend from some guy on Craigslist. He posted the ad on there stating it was "like new". Met him at a Starbucks location off of Times Square in NY and he seemed pretty shady.

Lid had dents, thing was dropped. He lied about specs and some other things. I ended up low balling him and snagged it up for $460. It was still under Apple Care until 3/30/15. I too noticed the same things you were noticing just mines were worse. Apple replaced the whole screen free of charge though Apple Care.

Good thing is that on the Air the screen is fused to the aluminum so they replaced the whole top half so I essentially got a new laptop after the repair with no dents.

Make an appointment and make sure you set the wallpaper on the Mac to the whitest wallpaper you can find. Mines happened when I had a Dark movie come on. I would notice light spots on the screen. I made sure I set the wallpaper to a solid black on so it would stand out. Also, make sure you let them know of any other issues you have with the Mac.

Good luck.

4. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks, but this is a windows app, I dont have windows running on my laptop, is there an equivalent or similar mac app?

5. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I realized I had an app tech tool pro, and I ran the video memory or video part of it, thinking that might test the monitor, and it passed.

I also did the color checker, where it would set the screen to solid colors, & I did not see much, tested the text, and bars as well.

I am not sure if this is the right way for testing the lcd monitor, but it was something I already had at hand.

are there any other mac apps that specifically test the LCD monitors of these macbook pros?