Is there something wrong with my USB ports?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by itsjustmeee, Feb 14, 2012.

1. itsjustmeee macrumors 6502a

I'm getting the feeling that the power coming from my USB ports on my mac pro is not consistent. I just had 2 logitech unifying receivers die on me that were plugged into one of the two ports in the front. From what I remember reading somewhere, the usb ports in the front have a stronger output or something like that. So my question is...

1. Is something like this even possible?

and

2. Is there a way to circumvent this from happening again if it is? Like using a powered usb hub and plugging that into the mac pro first and then the unifying receiver (or anything else) into the hub?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

USB ports can't damage devices plugged into them. Sounds like a quality control problem with the Logitech dongles.

3. itsjustmeee thread starter macrumors 6502a

We'll see. Logitech is sending me another mouse and receiver. If this one does the same thing, I'm going back to a regular bluetooth mouse and abandon logitech altogether for my mac pro.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I like Logitech mice, their charging docks never worked reliably and their wireless dongles (old style large) had really short range ~3'

The Apple Magic Mouse works great with Lion on my iMac but I'm more a fan of real buttons when on the road. My MacBook uses a Razor Orochi Bluetooth which is a nice mouse but crippled button support on Bluetooth.

5. itsjustmeee thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did too. I had an logitech MX Laser mouse that I used for 7 years. Then about 6 weeks ago, I bought a G700 gaming mouse so I would have more buttons to program. It worked great for about a month and then the mouse just went crazy .... the cursor jumping all over the place and all 3 red lights on the mouse lighting up off and on. I called Logitech support and they sent out another G700. This one lasted one week and then started doing the same thing. I then tried both of the unifying receivers in my macbook pro and the setpoint software said it couldn't see them. That is why I thought my usb port could've fried them or something.