Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleish19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
Hey everyone, I've been looking for a way to videochat with some of my friends and family on some of my PPC computers. I know that skype has been striped of features. Has anyone found an alternative way of videochatting? Maybe with running Linux? iChat?

appleish19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
iChat. Uses an AOL address.
Thanks, that's interesting I have a aol address with iChat. Would the people who want to chat need a aol address as well or is there a way it can connect to google, skype, ect. though some extension or program?

pochopsp

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2016
Napoli, city of sun and pizza!
i managed to do it via yahoo messenger but apparently there is no other people using it. another way is to use the modified version of skype to log in and then install an old version of skype on a windows pc of whom you want to chat with

Reactions: MysticCow

appleish19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
i managed to do it via yahoo messenger but apparently there is no other people using it. another way is to use the modified version of skype to log in and then install an old version of skype on a windows pc of whom you want to chat with
I'll have to try that. Where would I find the modified skype? What version would the other person need?

pochopsp

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2016
the modified version of skype does not allow video if you try to do it with a person having a recent version of skype installed. I tried it a few months ago on a windows 7 pc, with an old version of skype (it does not work on newer oses like windows 8 or 10), maybe the 5.1, and it worked.

anyway you can find it on youtube

iModFrenzy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2015
Kamino
the modified version of skype does not allow video if you try to do it with a person having a recent version of skype installed. I tried it a few months ago on a windows 7 pc, with an old version of skype (it does not work on newer oses like windows 8 or 10), maybe the 5.1, and it worked.

anyway you can find it on youtube
But the chances of someone still having 5.1 are slim, I don't believe having Windows 7 or 10 makes a difference being you can run the same application on both oses.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
On PowerPC you are limited to either using iChat or Yahoo. There are a couple of IM programs with additional services, but for video chat then iChat is the best bet. AIM/AOL is my preferred service.

pochopsp

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2016
Just tried a videochat between my Powermac G4 and a windows 7 pc.

Here they are the steps you have to do:

1) install the latest skype application for windows desktop
2) log in with your skype account on this appplication
3) without logging out, while skype is still opened, uninstall it
4) install skype 5.10.0.116 for windows, you can find it on the web
5) open it and it will automatically access to your account you logged before on the newest skype version

i know it is a long process, but it will allow you to videochat on skype and even to share your screen (a function only skype has).

if you try to log in directly from skype 5.10.0.116 it won't allow you to do that.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Just tried a videochat between my Powermac G4 and a windows 7 pc.

Here they are the steps you have to do:

1) install the latest skype application for windows desktop
2) log in with your skype account on this appplication
3) without logging out, while skype is still opened, uninstall it
4) install skype 5.10.0.116 for windows, you can find it on the web
5) open it and it will automatically access to your account you logged before on the newest skype version

i know it is a long process, but it will allow you to videochat on skype and even to share your screen (a function only skype has).

if you try to log in directly from skype 5.10.0.116 it won't allow you to do that.
Sorry for the revive, but does this still work?

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Is there support for XMPP video on iChat (jitsi comes to mind), or was that limited to using the Google Talk option?
I'm not sure honestly. And it seems that it's impossible to sign into Google on these old services. Pretty sure this Google problem only appeared this year, when 2 factor auth was finally forced, and less-secure device preferences were erased.

I'm not sure honestly. And it seems that it's impossible to sign into Google on these old services. Pretty sure this Google problem only appeared this year, when 2 factor auth was finally forced, and less-secure device preferences were erased.

Google Talk stopped existing around the same time as when Google complicated login requirements for email retrieval — all around six months ago.

Reactions: mectojic

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Google Talk stopped existing around the same time as when Google complicated login requirements for email retrieval — all around six months ago.
I see, it was shut down in June. Well, that's definitely one we can cross of the potential working list, alongside AOL.

I'd be curious to see if someone with a .mac account can still use iChat. That could make things easier.

Have you tried google duo?

No, and as the practical successor to Google Talk (which did implement XMPP), there is little hope that the resources required for Duo are going to be accommodating for PowerPC architecture.

My (ideal) hope was to find a way to develop a Jabber/XMPP/Jitsi-based server to run on a PowerPC Mac. I have yet to find a server flavour or version known to build successfully on PowerPC Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.