Is there such a software? Ripping CD/DVD Software to PC file

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SD-B, Sep 30, 2014.

1. SD-B macrumors 6502

SD-B

Hi, I have a CD or DVD ( haven't opened it up yet) meant for some medical hardware I need, but I ordered the hardware from AliExpress in China and a month later upon arrival, I stupidly realize I ordered one meant for PC only and can't return or exchange it.

Fine. I have a new Samsung laptop BUT, its their "air" copy/version without a DVD drive :roll eyes:

So, one of my macbook pro's still has a DVD drive I have never really used but I am wondering IF there is any sort of software that would allow me to rip the cd or dvd to a file compatible with Windows.

Preferably a free version as i will only use it once....

Anyone know if i can do this and if so, with what?

Its for the Contec Pulse Oximeter CMS501 model but I have looked and can't find it online anywhere so I believe I haven't any choice but to somehow rip it myself :(

T.I.A.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There is no software that can rip a Windows app from a disc and convert it to make it OS X compatible. You can, however, install and run Windows on your Mac so you can run the software.

3. SD-B thread starter macrumors 6502

SD-B

No, I did not expect it to be OSX compatible.

I was hoping I might be able to rip a Windows software CD USING a OSX DVD/Burner/software but in Windows format........even though I would not have been able to use it on OSX..

I thought, or hoped rather, that i might at least be able to do that.
    I personally don't like windows and don't want to have it on my mac so the next thing will be to just pick up a USB burner for Windows and burn it that way in the same format.

I was just hoping to avoid that one step.

Ok thank you...

4. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

get an 8 gig USB memory stick and

A) stick the memory stick into the mac along with the windows CD/DVD and just copy all the files and folders over from the CD to memory stick. The stick should be formatted as FAT32 (if it isn't just format it on the PC).

TBH, chances are you'll get away with a 1GB memory stick even if the source disc is a DVD but 8GB should cover you for all eventualities.

or

b) use disk utility on the MAC to make an ISO image of the CD/DVD and copy the ISO file over to the usb memory stick, then mount the iso image on the PC as a virtual CD

For most app installers option A is all you'll need to do; unless they're using the CD/DVD volume label and structure as a crude copy protection technique then its the data that's important not the structure of the media its contained on.

5. SD-B thread starter macrumors 6502

SD-B

Damn, why didn't I think of that???!!!

Thank you.....brilliant advice!!!
    Much appreciated, more than you know!!! :)

Thank you very much!!

6. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

hehe you're welcome, sometimes the easy ways are also the easiest to miss :D