Is there such a thing as a scratch resistant privacy screen protector?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Mischka07, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Mischka07 macrumors regular

Hi all,

I recently got the Speck Candy Shell case for my phone. Though I love the case, the screen protector that came with it is wanting; it's got a multitude of scratches, just from my finger swipes. As such, I'm in the market for a new screen protector.

Does anyone of a screen protector that is scratch resistant and provides privacy protection? I hope I'm not asking for the moon :D, I know there's no such thing as a protector that's impervious to all scratches, but I'd definitely like one that doesn't scratch from my finger swipes.

As for the privacy protector, I've seen blackberries with them, but not for the iPhone (not legitimate ones anyhow). Basically, it just obscures the screen from any other angle but straight on. I'd like this feature largely because I take mass transit, and there's always that bugger who wants to see what your password is.

Thanks all!

2. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Have you tried the Power Support antiglare? I like those and they seem to fit the bill :)

3. Mischka07 thread starter macrumors regular

I've actually seen the Power Support one before on one of my groomsman's iphone, but it doesn't have that privacy feature I was looking for, i.e. I turned it at an angle and you can still see the screen.

4. Mischka07 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I actually found one from 3M, but it looks like it has the same blurring and vertical line issues as the one I saw from the Apple Store. I guess it's just a tradeoff: a crisp & bright screen vs. privacy...hmmm

5. Mischka07 thread starter macrumors regular

So I ended up getting the Power Support Anti Glare screen protectors. I followed the instructions. Oops, dust under the screen. Use a little cellophane. Oops, more dust under the screen...cellophane...more dust...cellophane...you get the picture...

Now I'm sure many of you were able to get this thing on w/o dust issues on the first try. But I'm not working in a super dusty environment or anything, I even held my breath when I was putting on the screen. My question is, does anyone know if if I can return this ridiculous screen even after I tried to put it on?

6. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

I had the guy at the Apple store put mine on for that exact reason! Did you get yours there? If so, have them help you. They did a perfect job on mine.

7. Mischka07 thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, I did it myself :(. It's user error for sure, and I could see this thing going on easily if I was in a clean room wearing a bunny-suit, but literally the smallest mote of dust becomes the freakin' Eye of Sauron under this screen cover.

I like how it felt though, for the short time I had it on. I might go back and get another one if they're willing to exchange an open box.

8. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

They can get scratched.

9. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

There is nothing wrong with the screen....it's called operator error.

S-