Is there such a thing?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by buzzboy, Jun 17, 2014.

1. buzzboy macrumors newbie

A client of mine (a seaside hotel) has just called me to say that she read that you can get these 'beacons' that when someone goes near the hotel, smartphone users will get a notification from the hotel of a special offer (etc).

I assume this can only be done by an app they have already downloaded - so what apps can do this?

Any clues anyone?

2. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

The hotel (or other place of business) needs to have an iBeacon as well as their own app to make use of the iBeacon. I've run into 2 examples so far:

1. I have the Apple Store app installed. When I went into the Apple Store at the mall and was looking at iPhone cases, a message popped up that said where in the store I was and asked if I needed any help.

2. I have the MLB at the Ballpark app installed. As soon as I walked through the gate at Camden Yards, an offer popped up asking me if I wanted to upgrade my ticket.

iBeacons work using Bluetooth LE, so "near" the hotel isn't very accurate. You'd pretty much have to be in the hotel (and already have the hotel's app installed).