Is there sufficient cooling for hard drives?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by supercooled, May 15, 2008.

1. supercooled macrumors 6502a

I'm planning on getting two 150GB Raptors to run in Raid 0 and have another 74GB Raptor as scratch disk with the remaining caddy for a 1TB GreenPower. I imagine the Raptors will generate a lot of heat. Upon looking in the case, there doesn't seem to be a fan blowing there or at least not perceptible to me.

Is there enough cooling there? I wouldn't even know where to begin if I wanted to add an additional fan.

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I've got three hard drives, and right now they're all running around a very cool 83 degrees or so. You should be fine.

3. moutian macrumors member

I have two raptors, raid0, in my mac pro. They are running very cool (around 83)

4. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

5. supercooled thread starter macrumors 6502a

How did you mount/connect the 5th? Is there a Sata drive cage that you can use similar to the G5?

6. JeffDM macrumors 6502a

Mounting into the optical bay can be done with a stamped steel drive mount adapter, they cost a few dollars. Transintl does sell an adapter special for Mac Pro, but any 5.25" bay to 3.5" drive adapter should do, just not as nicely. A lot of PC parts stores have them. That bay already has a PATA connector. If you want SATA, you might have a spare SATA connector that's under the front fan housing like the original Mac Pro did. For a while, I had a cable routed from there to the second optical bay.

Mac Pro SATA photos on Flickr

I don't know if the early 2008 model has them. Pictures of their internals are very hard to come by.