is there two restore buttons in itunes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by waynef89, Jun 23, 2012.

1. waynef89 macrumors member

ive recently recived a email from my network so i can unlock my phone etc but this part is puzzling me

Use the “restore” option within iTunes (located at the bottom of iTunes not the top)

am i missing something but surely there is only one restore button

cheers

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

they may be confusing "update" and "restore"

You can click on either one.
    Selecting "update" updates the OS. Selecting "restore" restores it. A restore wipes the phone. The update leaves everything on the phone.

Attached Files:

3. waynef89 thread starter macrumors member

well this is the next step,

Use the “restore” option within iTunes (located at the bottom of iTunes not the top)
    5) The handset may then display: USB cable and iTunes icon.

so do i need to update it or restore it lol

4. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Just click restore. I think you really are overthiking it. Plug into iTunes. Click restore. iTunes will require the latest version of iOS be installed. If that is not downloaded already it will take the time to do so. Once done it will restore your phone (10-15 minutes). Once that is done you should get the "congratulations your iPhone has been unlocked" message.

5. waynef89 thread starter macrumors member

yeah prob am but the first post confused me thats all lol, well let you know how it goes will this process work with all carriers,

e.g say the iphone is on o2? do o2 have a different unlocked procedure

6. batting1000 macrumors 604

You haven't really said what the process was so we can't really say if it will work or not...lol.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

It's the same for all. This is because the unlock is actually done on Apple's end (through iTunes). The carrier coordinates with Apple and Apple works their magic.

8. waynef89 thread starter macrumors member

this is the whole email

1) Insert a non-Orange 3G SIM card. This must be a network provider who also supplies the iphone/ipad.
    2) Switch ON the handset.
    3) Connect to iTunes using USB cable
    4) Use the “restore” option within iTunes (located at the bottom of iTunes not the top)
    5) The handset may then display: USB cable and iTunes icon.
    6) Disconnect from USB then re-connect
    7) Synchronise device with iTunes
    Once synchronised a message will appear on iTunes stating “Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked” If using IOS5 this message will not show
    9) Follow on screen set up instructions to enable new carrier settings

Your handset should now be successfully unlocked.

Should this not show, please keep other network 3G sim in the iphone and restore the iphone via iTunes making sure all data is backed up first.
    You can also get some self help tips, please put the following into Google and search; support.apple.com/kb/TS3198

If your “restore” option is not shown when device is synchronised with iTunes, you must place the Orange sim back into the iphone/ipad and update the software then “restore as a new device” and then follow the unlock procedure again with the other network sim inserted