Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daesup45

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
i have a powerbook g4 and i want to upgrade to macbook or pro but i dont have the money for it and i was thinking about selling it but i know i will not get a lot out of it. so i was wondering if there are ways or methods to make my powerbook g4 i guess what im trying to say is make it more up to date

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
i have a powerbook g4 and i want to upgrade to macbook or pro but i dont have the money for it and i was thinking about selling it but i know i will not get a lot out of it. so i was wondering if there are ways or methods to make my powerbook g4 i guess what im trying to say is make it more up to date

What version do you have, specs, etc?

In general RAM upgrades are the fastest and most noticeable upgrades.

The folks here will need a bit more info on your system to make full recommendations.

Cheers,

daesup45

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
the verison is 10.4.11
it has a 1.25 ghz powerpc g4, 512 mb, and 80gb. its the 15 inch one

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
the verison is 10.4.11
it has a 1.25 ghz powerpc g4, 512 mb, and 80gb. its the 15 inch one

Upgrade to 2GB of Ram and optionally 100GB 7200rpm drive but the RAM will make the most difference.

I upgraded my 1.33 PB 12 inch to its 1.25GB max and it is much snappier in Tiger. Still can't watch HD movie trailers but everything else is great.

Cheers,

daesup45

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
where can i buy the parts and is there a place where they can install it. i guess there is noway to install intel core

can u upgrade the processor?

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
where can i buy the parts and is there a place where they can install it. i guess there is noway to install intel core

macsales.com

All you need is a #00 phillips screwdriver to open the panel on the bottom and change the chips.

No the CPU cannot be upgraded.

daesup45

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
what is the best brand for the rams and hd, actually can u just tell me the best things for the laptop. i want to upgrade it to the max

is it worth upgrading the ram and hd or wait until i can get a new laptop which will take me like 30 years

im thinking of keeping my powerbook, i have a 1.25ghz, 512mb, 80gb. i heard you can upgrade the ram and hd, but i dont know how much you can upgrade on ram and hd.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
is it worth upgrading the ram and hd or wait until i can get a new laptop which will take me like 30 years

Definitely the ram, the hard disk is a toss up and it will be hard to source a 72200rpm ata laptop drive anyway since they are no longer produced.

Cheers,

im thinking of keeping my powerbook, i have a 1.25ghz, 512mb, 80gb. i heard you can upgrade the ram and hd, but i dont know how much you can upgrade on ram and hd.

This was answered in your other thread here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/559836/

2GB is the max. Replace both chips with 2 - 1GB chips.

You should refrain from posting multiple threads about the same topic. Sorta turns people off.

Cheers,

ntg

macrumors regular
May 3, 2002
UK - Rushden, Northants
I have a 1.5 G4, and a couple of weeks ago I decide to upgrade rather than replace, then wait 'til next year for the faster platforms to settle in before buying new.

I'm running Leopard, and installed 2x 1Gb modules from Crucial and a new 250Gb HDD, which I partitioned to 100Gb system and 138Gb data (easier for shared music/photos on multiple logins for wife and kids!)

The Crucial ram was:-
CT368654 Upgrade for a Apple PowerBook G4 1.5GHz (15-inch Display) System

The disk was:-
WESTERN DIGITAL HD Scorpio 250GB 2.5 ATA 5400rpm (manuf part: WD2500BEVE)

Good luck (took me 10 minutes to fit all 3 items, but then I have had practice!)

Nigel

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
You should refrain from posting multiple threads about the same topic. Sorta turns people off.
No, daesup45 should refrain from starting duplicate threads on the same topic because it is against forum rules and policies. ;)

I've merged your two threads, daesup45.
But kindly take some time to familiarize yourself with the Forum Rules, thank you.

daesup45

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
sorry about that, im new to this forum and i dont know how to delete the other thread

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC

Yes and the RAM and HDD upgrade is as far you can go. If my memory serves me right, you can fix 2GB on the computer so it would be around $80-100 for the RAM upgrade and then around $100 for the HDD upgrade.

sorry about that, im new to this forum and i dont know how to delete the other thread

You can't delete you own threads ;)

no-engine

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2008
New Hampshire
G4 Pwb

My logic board died; I decided not worth it. Pulled the memory & sold.
Used the HD which was not original in a housing as an external Firewire with my MBP. Sold on eBay the remaining as screen was good.

My 2¢ experience two years ago. My MBP is July 2006, and now needs an optical drive replacement. Glad I have Apple Care; it got a new screen a year ago! Guess I better get a new one before next July.

daesup45

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
is there any programs for powerbook to use window programs other then ms virtual pc because i heard it sucks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.