Is there windows keyboard shortcut to restart a mac ???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by curtisinoc, Jan 12, 2012.

1. curtisinoc macrumors 6502

Using a windows keyboard without an "EJECT" button, is there a keyboard shortcut that will bring up the shut down/restart menu? (equivalent to control + eject on a mac keyboard)

Google has not been my friend with this question . . . :(

2. barredfreak macrumors 6502

Windows keyboards don't exactly have the necessary keys needed to operate a Mac properly. I don't think it's possible without an Eject button. You should get a Bluetooth keyboard from Apple.

3. curtisinoc thread starter macrumors 6502

I use an apple Bluetooth keyboard. Reason I ask is because every so often, the Bluetooth devices (keyboard, trackpad and mouse) will be unresponsive - will not wake up iMac from sleep. When this happens, I connect my spare USB keyboard (windows keyboard) to restart the iMac so I don't have to "hard reboot"

4. snberk103 macrumors 603

I think you can just "tap" the power button to get the same shut-down/restart option. At least with my MBP it works.... The hard shut-down only happens if you push and hold the power button, so just click it and see what happens....

Luck.

5. curtisinoc thread starter macrumors 6502

The "tap" of the power button brings up the window to enter password to get into the system . . . the problem is that the bluetooth keyboard is not connected (along with bluetooth trackpad and mouse . . . . happens periodically). Then, I'll connect the usb "windows" keyboard. With this keyboard, I can enter the password to unlock the system.

Now that the "windows" keyboard is working, I'm looking for a "windows" keyboard shortcut to bring up the shutdown/restart menu (equivalent to control+eject on mac keyboard) . . . . remember, bluetooth devices are not working, including the mouse (can't click apple logo to shutdown/restart)

If there isn't a windows keyboard equivalent to control+eject, is there another windows keyboard shortcut to restart the imac? . . . trying to avoid a "hard reboot"

6. snberk103 macrumors 603

Check over at the Apple Community Support forums. They aren't has much fun as the MR forums, but I find for arcane technical issues the knowledge is a bit better there. Luck.

7. imahawki macrumors 6502a

Is there a shortcut on MAC keyboard to do this? I take it involves the eject key.... I'm newer to OSX.

8. curtisinoc thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes. Control+Eject will bring up the dialogue to shutdown/sleep/reboot

Trying to figure out if a windows keyboard can do this task

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

The eject key might be one of the F keys. Might work with F13 or F16 with special keyboard combo keys.

10. curtisinoc thread starter macrumors 6502

Any other way (key combos) to restart/reboot the mac using a windows keyboard??

Other than [control+eject] which doesn't seem to exist on a windows keyboard.

11. curtisinoc thread starter macrumors 6502

Good idea, I will post this question there. Thanks