Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
Anybody know if this is possible yet? If so please let me know how : )

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
So theres a gmail and gmail calendar app for iphone?
Don't think so, but not needed anyway as google syncs just fine with the stock iPhone mail/calendar app. Although I find the stock calendar app to be quite poor - there are many better alternatives (e.g. CalenGoo)

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Google Calendar is great...syncs across many devices...sometimes I forget and get so impressed. If set up right it will take any updates you make, put them on the cloud, then send them out to devices. So your calendar on your iPhone, iPad and Mac will are be the same. (and it work well with my phone OSes(I've used Symbian and Android without issue,I'm sure it works well in Windows.)

And you info is always on the web, if you find yourself without any of your own devices.

(Also it has a nice contact and task feature, plus all of these can be made into Web apps on the iPhone, they have to load, but google ends of making them feel like an app more then just a web page.

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
Google Calendar is great...syncs across many devices...sometimes I forget and get so impressed. If set up right it will take any updates you make, put them on the cloud, then send them out to devices. So your calendar on your iPhone, iPad and Mac will are be the same. (and it work well with my phone OSes(I've used Symbian and Android without issue,I'm sure it works well in Windows.)

And you info is always on the web, if you find yourself without any of your own devices.

(Also it has a nice contact and task feature, plus all of these can be made into Web apps on the iPhone, they have to load, but google ends of making them feel like an app more then just a web page.

Sounds great, but what exactly should I do to set it up? I went into Settings > Mail, contacts, calendars > gmail > Calendars > ON.

Although I have a feeling this won't do it. Seems like I need to simply log into my google calendar from the web and make it an icon on my home screen and use it that way? What do you mean by "If set up correctly?"

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Well you could make your Calender an app on your iPhone/iPad, making web apps is easy in Safari.(its a choice under the arrow when your one the page)

Or sync into the full calender, contacts and email on iPhone

Here is contacts and email(which will push back to Gmail, which will then push to other devices like your iPad or Mac if you set those up as well)
http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138740

And here is calendar(the actual question's answer hopefully)
http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138740

If those aren't clear, just ask and we can try to explain, but normally google does a nice job explaining.

Sync for iCal is a bit different(still not super hard with googles help)
http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/answer.py?answer=99358#ical

Then make sure you're using the Google Name in your iCal to get those changes back to Google Calendar online, which is then synced to your iPhone/iPad.

You can import the old files from iCal that are in other calendar names if you'd like this time, but from here on out, it might be easier to use a Google Calendar to post event across all devices.

(Oh and thanks for posting this thread, it made me realize my iCal wasn't set up to sync with my Google Calendar since moving to my new laptop. I which mobile devices a lot and sometimes I miss when I lose events or contacts unless I need them at a certain point)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.